SOLVED FreeNAS 11.2-U6 - Windows 10 share fail

davidpsplace

Dabbler
I've made quite a few attempts at getting a share to work with my Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. I've even followed Uncle Festers starter share setup. I think it is a windows problem. The attached screen capture shows the problem fairly well I think. You can see that the Windows explorer is showing the folders
but then when you click on it it can't find it. I could sure use some help. My first build and this is holding it up. Thanks!
No Access.JPG

Apollo

Wizard
Have you tried restarting Windows?
It could be Freenas share setting issue as well.
What about Windows network discovery, is it enabled and working properly?

diedrichg

Wizard

davidpsplace

Dabbler
Agreed, that's usually my issue when I forget that I turned off Network Discovery!
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/s...configure-sharing-options-in-Windows-10-1008/

Thank you guys for the quick reply. I checked the "Changed sharing options for different network profiles". The "Private" section was already checked for "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices". Under "Guest or Public" I checked "Turn on network discovery" also. I have a Synology system that has been working fine. It's puzzling how it seems to do half the job of discovering the the shares enough to show them in explorer but when selected "The network name cannot be found" is reported. I did a windows update last night hoping to see an improvement but nothing changed. I have attached a screenshot that shows how checking properties has no problem finding the shares except that the Size is zero.
PropertiesFreenasShare.JPG

Apollo

Wizard
I had what seems to be a very similar issue, with my laptop and my main desktop. One of them was able to list and connect while the other couldn't.
I thought it was related to the Windows Network discovery, but I was never able to really understand the issue in the first place and how to resolve it. As of now, both have access but in between there has been many restarts, updates and whatsnot to really know what really is the root cause.
I hate to say that, but maybe you need to restart your Freenas server.
But maybe before you do, maybe you could create a dataset and assign it a new share and make it available to anyone as in permission set to 777.
Set the SMB range to include the lowest/oldest protocol and change it to the newest (ie SMB1, SMB2...) and possibly adjust the range as well.

davidpsplace

Dabbler
I had what seems to be a very similar issue, with my laptop and my main desktop. One of them was able to list and connect while the other couldn't.
I thought it was related to the Windows Network discovery, but I was never able to really understand the issue in the first place and how to resolve it. As of now, both have access but in between there has been many restarts, updates and whatsnot to really know what really is the root cause.
I hate to say that, but maybe you need to restart your Freenas server.
But maybe before you do, maybe you could create a dataset and assign it a new share and make it available to anyone as in permission set to 777.
Set the SMB range to include the lowest/oldest protocol and change it to the newest (ie SMB1, SMB2...) and possibly adjust the range as well.

After following https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester112:shares_basic as close as possible I am able to make shares that work!!!!

I will try to get the "Home" directory system working at some point but I think I will take an R&R after replacing a bad drive. I purchased 13 drives and got two bad ones. One worked long enough to build a RAIDZ3 with 12 X 4TB drives. It is running "DEGRADED" until I can replace the bad one tomorrow. Most people (myself included) would not want to go through all of this with a new system but I am (after seeing the light at the end) glad to have the experience. I will still be very shy about endangering my data but when I do run into issues I will be less stressed.

This seems to be Great community. I hope to be able to help out in time. Thanks Apollo and Diedrichg for your help! It is much appreciated.