Freenas 11.2 BETA3 - setup when needing to preserve old data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Read the guides, followed a bunch of tutorials but everything seems to deal with a from scratch setup with new disks, etc. I am upgrading from 9.3 and I have two mirrored RAID disks that contain all my media and backups. Since they total over 2 TB simply moving them off to another storage and back again isn't an option - I need to preserve them and set them up in the new Freenas 11.3 world. I know that's possible - I imported the disks and I can see them (see screenshot below) but I don't think I have done everything correctly here. First it has created this iocage dataset which I presume happened during setup? When I am trying to install plugins like plex I am running into problems with jails and I think it's because my source and my jail are on the same volume??? When I look at creating new volumes etc it starts talking about clearing all the existing data and I don't want that.

Can anyone offer any resources / tutorials they can point me to that might walk me to this. I'm not completely new to this but I also don't have an in depth understanding of pools / volumes and am trying to educate myself. Anything you can direct me to would be helpful. (I have obviously read the freenas documentation but can't relate it to the setup I am using …)

Appreciate your guidance and support.

Storage.jpg

kdragon75

Wizard
OOH you trying to import your JAILS not just data...
Your old jails are based on an obsolete jail system (warden) and an end of life BSD. It's time to look at migrating the data from your old jails into the new iocage jails. This will required rebuilding the jails and exporting/importing the application data as needed.

OOH you trying to import your JAILS not just data...
Your old jails are based on an obsolete jail system (warden) and an end of life BSD. It's time to look at migrating the data from your old jails into the new iocage jails. This will required rebuilding the jails and exporting/importing the application data as needed.
Hi, no I don't believe so. I just have all my own personal data on the hard drives and I want to point the new jails to those so plugins like Plex can read them. Don't think I need the old jails?

Thanks - when I do that it does not find any pools to import. As you can see on the screen shot it has already found my freenas hard drive, I am just not sure between data sets, pools, volumes etc if it's set up properly for my plug in jails to find it? Should the iocage be on a different volume? I think I read on another thread that the jails have to be on a different volume from the data you are accessing in that jail?

kdragon75

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.