FreeNAS 11.1 NFS Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoserama

Dabbler
I am not a large fan of Transmission and prefer rTorrent. I have it setup on my FreeNAS server in a VM (Ubuntu 17.10). I have mounted a dataset from my FreeNAS using NFS in the Ubuntu VM with default settings. I have assigned 2 processor cores and 4gb of memory to the VM to ensure it has adequate resources.

rTorrent is installed and running successfully but there appears to be something limiting the download speed in rtorrent to ~20MB/s. I have run speedtests from the cl and see the cl speedtests exceeding that of rtorrent. I know torrent speeds are largely attributed to those seeding but i have verified that download the same torrent in transmission will yield around 65MB/s. I have removed any barriers within rtorrent that could be throttling the speed (download speed cap settings, etc)

Q: Am i asking too much of NFS to support this project considering i have a gbit connection?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
You could run rTorrent in a jail. Then you woludn't be limited by bhyve.

hoserama

Dabbler
You could run rTorrent in a jail. Then you woludn't be limited by bhyve.

I would love to get to this point, i believe it would simply things.

Do you know of any good tutorials or guides for settings up a jail for something like this? It should be simply a matter of installing the rtorrent dependencies, then installing rtorrent - correct?

Nick2253

Wizard
Any guide for installing rtorrent in FreeBSD should work for installing rtorrent in a jail. I have never done it personally, though when I was researching headless torrent clients, I did see some guides for installing rtorrent in FreeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.