FreeNAS 11.1 - jail rebuild required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgarychris

Contributor
Hi,

I've been running FreeNAS for a while and had a number of issues trying to get OSMC to play nice with 9.10 so I was on 9.3 for a while. I have now managed to upgrade to 11.1 and everything seems to be working, but one issue that I'm confused about is the jails vs. docker situation. I know the docker isn't yet available and may not be until 11.2 (or after), but I'm wondering if I need to destroy and rebuild my jails? I have noticed that pkg update / upgrade no longer pulls anything, it simply says everything is up-to-date, so I have a sneaking suspicion I've fallen out of date? I don't know how to check the version of my jails but attached is a screenshot of my system's storage, which suggests the jails are 9.3 (and possibly older?) along with a few recent additions that I have made.

I just want to make sure that security issues are getting patched but don't want to rebuild the jails only to have to redo them again if we change to dockers shortly.

Sorry for the noob question - everything's run so brilliantly that I've clearly fallen behind...

Thanks

Attachments

• FreeNAS Nov 2017.jpg
    FreeNAS Nov 2017.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Jails generally have to be rebuilt to be fully functional on newer FreeBSD versions.

but don't want to rebuild the jails only to have to redo them again if we change to dockers shortly.
Jails are not going anywhere. What is happening is that FreeNAS is migrating from Warden to iocage for jails management - iocage should be up and running in the new GUI on FreeNAS 11.1, but the old GUI will keep using warden (probably until the UI disappears for good). So, set them up using iocage.

calgarychris

Contributor
Jails generally have to be rebuilt to be fully functional on newer FreeBSD versions.

Jails are not going anywhere. What is happening is that FreeNAS is migrating from Warden to iocage for jails management - iocage should be up and running in the new GUI on FreeNAS 11.1, but the old GUI will keep using warden (probably until the UI disappears for good). So, set them up using iocage.

Bummer, I was afraid someone might say that. I guess I'll look into setting them up. Are the pbi's the same regardless of whether it's warden or iocage?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.