FreeBSD Version Control System is changing Dec 18-19

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Those who use poudriere with updates or ports tree set to use svn, and everyone else who might use svn to update FreeBSD source or their ports tree (in lieu of portsnap) will need to look into alternative methods with git.

wow not a lot of heads-up on this change......

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
wow not a lot of heads-up on this change......
It's been known for a few months, although I hadn't heard of the switchover date before today.

Now that I specifically went to looking I do see comments here and there about moving to Git, the only blatant thing I saw was in the news only this month.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator

That sucks. It has always been a good tool for the job, speedy and efficient. This is the first I have heard about it. My new blog post about it is prior to revising other things on my blog regarding portsnap and finally adding mention of my chosen alternative(s). Thanks again for the heads up.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
For a guy like me that doesn't really know a whole lot when it comes to FreeBSD this kinda sucks. I'll have to learn a new way of doing things since the ports tree and portsnap is how I managed software on FreeBSD when I needed something other than what the default package offers. I'm sure I'll be able to learn something new just as I have before but I will miss it.

Seems there have been a lot of wholesale changes in the last couple years with FreeBSD after so many years of doing things the same way. That's one of the attractions of FreeBSD to me is a unified way of doing things and what has attracted me to it compared to Linux. But I am getting old and set in my ways so there is that.......

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
For a guy like me that doesn't really know a whole lot when it comes to FreeBSD this kinda sucks. I'll have to learn a new way of doing things since the ports tree and portsnap is how I managed software on FreeBSD when I needed something other than what the default package offers. I'm sure I'll be able to learn something new just as I have before but I will miss it.

Seems there have been a lot of wholesale changes in the last couple years with FreeBSD after so many years of doing things the same way. That's one of the attractions of FreeBSD to me is a unified way of doing things and what has attracted me to it compared to Linux. But I am getting old and set in my ways so there is that.......
It looks like svn will be the solution for portsnap but I suspect that eventually it will shift to git as well.

Eventually but fairly soon I intend to make another blog post on how to survive with svn for ports updates, and probably another on how to deal with updating source with git. If it is possible to do either git or svn for ports I might show both in that post. You may have read my blog, I mention that I had finally gotten comfortable with svn for source, and have been accustomed to portsnap, and how right after writing about them I am proven outdated. *shrugs* Maybe some of this will be stable for a long while. I read in the mailing list thread that some wanted a transition of some sort for portsnap but I didn't see anything definite about it other than some scattered answers in that thread which I culled for myself. I hope those involved remember to put something in the /usr/src/UPDATING and /usr/ports/UPDATING files, I saw that portsnap was to be removed from the handbook-- although that is only one piece of documentation.

rvassar

Guru
But I am getting old and set in my ways so there is that.......

(Looks over at yellowing Bell Labs Unix v7 manuals on bookshelf...) :wink:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
One interesting thing which could be handy, Game of trees which is a tool for git with some extensions.

Another item I was not aware of, this is not in quarterly branch of the ports tree, git-lite and git-tiny which are flavors of git.
Screenshot_2020-12-18 FreshPorts -- devel git Distributed source code management tool(1).png

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
For those who do not think in UTC, the end of updates to the SVN server is at 10am CST Friday (today), it may become entirely unavailable between the 19th and 22nd, and it looks like all normal operations are resumed with the new git arrangement on Dec 25th.
Screenshot_2020-12-18 git - FreeBSD Wiki.png

There is no mention in /usr/src/UPDATING yet, so possibly that entry regarding the svn to git transition will be added sometime after it is completed. Although IMHO it would make much better sense to have it present already because it is obtained by the method to get source, and if one cannot obtain source they will not know why it is failing.

Last edited: