FreeBSD Jail - Version 14 ?

HannesM

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I am currently a bit confused that a jail in version 14 is displayed on the host under iocage fetch - but the host is currently on version 13 and no updates are displayed.
I' missing also an roadmap of TrueNAS CORE :frown:

Thx and regard
Hannes

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hello everyone,
I am currently a bit confused that a jail in version 14 is displayed on the host under iocage fetch - but the host is currently on version 13 and no updates are displayed.
I' missing also an roadmap of TrueNAS CORE :frown:

Thx and regard
Hannes
Iocage doesn't just run on TrueNAS., it's a jail manager for FreeBSD. The current version of FreeBSD is 14.0 and that's why it's available for download. Having said that don't try to run a 14.0 jail on TrueNAS, it won't work. You can't run a jail with a newer kernel version than the host and as you pointed out TrueNAS is on version 13.

HannesM

Dabbler
@victort and @LarsR
thx for feedback. i saw the posts, but i'm a bit struggeling, the host on the latest version 13 but iocage fetch show also version 14 :frown:

1710870168375.png

that's a bit irritating for me.... Latest Version is 13 but iocage show 14 that's not usable on the CORE host :frown:

Regards
Hannes

LarsR

Guru
It's been over 2 years since i moved from core to scale and therefore my core and jail knowledge is almost at 0 again, can't Help you. I Just know that you cant Run 14 jails on a 13 Kernel and that you should Stick to 13.1 for now due to Bugs with the 13.3 Versions and some packages.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You must run 13.2 if you want to install any packages from the standard FreeBSD repositories inside the jail. 13.1 is EOL so there are no packages, anymore. 13.3 jails on the other hand do not work well on the current TN CORE release. See this thread for reference.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Latest Version is 13 but iocage show 14 that's not usable on the CORE host :frown:
But iocage does not know that. You are supposed to know and pick the correct version. Yeah, it's kinda stupid that way.