Free Nas 8.0 and iscsi, but not working :( Help please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashpuppy

Dabbler
Yeah, this is not working to well for me, fresh install,

I do this :
FreeNAS-8-creatin-raidz.jpg

then go to do this :
FREENAS8-iSCSI-config-590x259.jpg

and i don't get anything in the drop down, its blank.

following this guide :(

http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-configure-freenas-8-for-iscsi-and-connect-to-esxi/

ProtoSD

MVP
I think in the guide there are actually 5 disks, but the screen shot only shows 4 because 'ada5' is his SSD disk which is not part of his ZFS volume.

Do you have a total of 5 disks? The 5th disk is what should be in the drop down I believe.

Tekkie

Patron

ProtoSD

MVP
Good catch Tekkie. When I first started to reply before I was almost going to say that, but an impulse about the screen shot made me change my answer.

dashpuppy

Dabbler
Read the wiki page in detail and follow each step to the letter ;) I had the same problem as you until it hit me that I'd conveniently skipped a step.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/ISCSI#Device_and_File_Extents Is the past I believe you skipped, you must either create file extents which you can do on you 'myshare' volume or you must create a zvol (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Creating_a_zvol) which will then present it self in the dialogue you show above.

thank you for this, i just tried it :( and it didn't work, kept coming up with, ive been struggling with this for the last week :(

Error,
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-07-24%252520at%2525208.34.40%252520AM.png

All im trying to do is setup a iscsi target box with 4 targets on it, my box consists of 6 500 gig hard drives raided together in freenas, and then after this is done id like to have 4 different iscsi targets one to each box.

Is there a step for step document or wikki link ?

tropic

Dabbler
I have a volume mounted as /mnt/storage, and I'd like to offer a couple iSCSI targets to VMs. Here's how I'd create the file extents:

Extent Name: guest01
Path to Extent: /mnt/storage/iscsi/guest01
Extent Size: 501GB
Comment:

Extent Name: guest02
Path to Extent: /mnt/storage/iscsi/guest02
Extent Size: 201GB
Comment:

Tekkie

Patron
thank you for this, i just tried it :( and it didn't work, kept coming up with, ive been struggling with this for the last week :(

Error,
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-07-24%252520at%2525208.34.40%252520AM.png

All im trying to do is setup a iscsi target box with 4 targets on it, my box consists of 6 500 gig hard drives raided together in freenas, and then after this is done id like to have 4 different iscsi targets one to each box.

Is there a step for step document or wikki link ?
Your forte is definitely not reading eyh? .... My reply contains 2 wiki links, one of them directing you to the iSCSI wiki page!

But anyway your problem is that you didn't follow this instruction:
you must either create file extents which you can do on you 'myshare' volume
e.g. your 'Path to the extent' must be: /mnt/myshare/WHAT_EVER_NAME_YOU_LIKE_TO_GIVE_THE_FILE_EXTENT

Status
Not open for further replies.