free space and iscsi share for esxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

piorrun

Cadet
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, still if someone could explain the sizing of empty space reported in both freenas and esxi i would be grateful.

My Freenas install is quite simple, i have a vol1 in RAID10 arrangement (managed by freenas) 4*6TB drives plus 1 120GB Intel SSD for write cache.
I have one 8TiB iscsi zvol and a nfs dataset on it.
upload_2017-6-22_15-34-37.png

upload_2017-6-22_15-46-57.png

from ESXi where the 8TB iscsi share is mounted I get

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
VMFS-5 8.0T 3.4T 4.6T 43% /vmfs/volumes/iSCSI-H17

My understanding is that snapshots of /vol1/iscsi will reside on /vol1 and consume in this case 793GiB, so just from the zfs list -t all output 320+6760=7080GiB so, i'm not sure where this space is accounted for as used?
What i don't understand is the used space of iscsi, being reported as 6.76TiB, while ESXi where it's mounted reports 3.4TB. I could understand it if my snapshots would be taking 3.36TB but they are not.... i do have another freenas box that i replicate the data to (this is at the moment in a bit of a failed state)

Regards
Piotr

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, still if someone could explain the sizing of empty space reported in both freenas and esxi i would be grateful.

My Freenas install is quite simple, i have a vol1 in RAID10 arrangement (managed by freenas) 4*6TB drives plus 1 120GB Intel SSD for write cache.
I have one 8TiB iscsi zvol and a nfs dataset on it.
View attachment 19065

View attachment 19068

from ESXi where the 8TB iscsi share is mounted I get

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
VMFS-5 8.0T 3.4T 4.6T 43% /vmfs/volumes/iSCSI-H17

My understanding is that snapshots of /vol1/iscsi will reside on /vol1 and consume in this case 793GiB, so just from the zfs list -t all output 320+6760=7080GiB so, i'm not sure where this space is accounted for as used?
What i don't understand is the used space of iscsi, being reported as 6.76TiB, while ESXi where it's mounted reports 3.4TB. I could understand it if my snapshots would be taking 3.36TB but they are not.... i do have another freenas box that i replicate the data to (this is at the moment in a bit of a failed state)

Regards
Piotr
Hard to explain but seems ok to me. Zvols make size accounting complicated. Some of the zvol is probably sparse so it isn't being counted but some might be used at some point to it's being counted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.