Fractal Node 804 and 2,5" drives

Octopuss

Patron
I will be replacing my current setup of 3 3,5" disks with 4 2,5" SSDs, and fortunately realized this case doesn't support mounting the smaller drives in the drive cages.
I think the case is relatively popular and someone must had faced the same problem, and could share some tips. How would I install 2,5" SSDs in the drive compartment, and how do I cool them (they are U.2 so I think I definitely need a fan blowing on them)?
I might as well look for a new case if I can't solve this easily and with minimal investment (I guess I need some sort of an adapter), if there's any such thing that's smaller (I don't need a case this big after all anymore).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How would I install 2,5" SSDs in the drive compartment, and how do I cool them (they are U.2 so I think I definitely need a fan blowing on them)?
You can fairly safely install them with screws on only one side of the bay (since it's not an issue if they move a little)

There's a FAN mounting in both upper and lower positions at the front of the case in the disks compartment... choose a more powerful fan (2KRPM or higher)

Octopuss

Patron
Oh, I didn't think about that!
The holes distance is the same between 3,5" and 2,5"? I never paid attention to this sort of detail.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think it can depend on the SSD, but the holes on SATA drives are supposed to be standard.

If there's an issue, you could end up doing something like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3798298 (but obviously not a longer one like that as your SSDs are certainly shorter).

Or it may just be simpler to drill a few holes where you want them if the provided ones aren't in the right spots... remembering that the rubber damping washers aren't useful on SSDs anyway, so you just need holes for screws.

jlpellet

Patron
There are a variety of inexpensive 2.5-3.5" adapter sleds (~$3-4) each or it is fairly simple to make, if so inclined. You can search for "2.5 3.5 tray" for examples/info. Hope this helps.
John

joeschmuck

Old Man
There are a variety of inexpensive 2.5-3.5" adapter sleds (~$3-4) each or it is fairly simple to make, if so inclined. You can search for "2.5 3.5 tray" for examples/info. Hope this helps.
John
Exactly what I was thinking. Here is a link to an example.

Myself, I'd remove one drive cage, mark and drill mounting holes so you could mount the four SSD's in one cage hopefully flat against the inner walls, two SSD's per side. It could look pretty when done if you take your time to do it right. Plan for the layout and make the holes very small at first. Also make a paper template of the hole layout. Use a punch of some sort to mark the center of the holes before drilling or odds are, your drill bit will walk and no longer be centered. This is exactly what I'd do, but that is me. I have no issues modifying a case provided I plan it out first, and planning could take longer than a day. The modification should take about 30 minutes. Also ream out the holes when done to ensure no metal flakes remain.

Good Luck and if you modify the mount, please post a few good photos of Before, After (no SSD's), After (with SSD's).

EDIT: I forgot to mention one key thing... If you plan to install more heat producing hard drives, consider air flow if you do this modification so the HDD's are properly cooled. And if you have to remove the rubber grommets, place those into a small plastic bag and tape it to the inside floor of the case so you will find them in a few years when you go looking for them.

Etorix

Wizard
The holes distance is the same between 3,5" and 2,5"? I never paid attention to this sort of detail.
No, holes do not line up between 3.5" and 2.5" drives. Short of drilling extra holes in the drive cages, 2.5" drives would hang on one screw only.

The Node 804 is a one-trick pony which works well with 3.5" drives having three holes on each side; drives without the middle hole (e.g Ironwolf) aren't a good fit.
There are two bays for slim 2.5" in the front. The DVD bay might be converted to hold a third drive.
Two of these adapters might be placed on the bottom of the CPU chamber
I'm less sure they would be a good fit for the hanging cages. Beside the number of screws, cooling could be an issue with so much free space around the drives for air to go through without touching the drives.

Better look for a case which is designed to accommodate 2.5" drives.

Octopuss

Patron
What I meant to say was, aren't some of the holes in a 3,5" HDD the same distance as 2,5"? There are three of them to a 3,5" HDD, and I have a very vague feeling two of those should have the 2,5" distance between, no?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd love to buy this Node 804 case just because so many people are buying it, but at $125 USD, and the fact that I don't need a case, well I'm S.O.O.L.

I do not think the hole spacing lines up at all to get two screws into the SSD using the 3.5" HDD mounting holes, of any spacing. One screw for sure but I would never do that, so I would never recommend that either.

Examine the case, see if there is any place you could use Velcro tape to mount a SSD if you do not desire to drill holes or buy adapters. Velcro works well if you buy the right stuff and it can be removed. That is about the only other option I can think of short of purchasing a new case. Honestly, the SSD's have very little weight or mass, two diagonal screws in the back are sufficient. Velcro would work too.

Octopuss

Patron
I have just noticed I might need a special bracket/adapter, because the case has no threads in the sides of the drive cage - you screw into the HDD itself, so with a 3,5" to 2,5" adapter I would have no way to mount the actual bracket into the cage.

Etorix

Wizard
What I meant to say was, aren't some of the holes in a 3,5" HDD the same distance as 2,5"? There are three of them to a 3,5" HDD, and I have a very vague feeling two of those should have the 2,5" distance between, no?
No. (Top to bottom: WD Gold, thin 2.5" U.2, 2.5" SATA, thick U.2)
IMG_0001.jpg

Octopuss

Patron
I knew nothing would be simple. Ever.
The adapters I bought didn't work because the holes were for smaller screws, not the bigger ones supplied with the case, which you are forced to use, because the drive cages only work with the rubber pads that act as a filler between the cage and a disk, and no regular screws are long enough.
I guess I might need a different case after all. Jesus.

jlpellet

Patron
Suggest you can either 1) drill out the small screw holes (slightly smaller than the larger screws so they have something to bite when screwing in) or 2) look more carefully another adapter (or contact the vendor for the adapter you have & see if they have an alternative. Even if you have to buy a drill bit or an alternate adapter, a lot easier than changing case. Good luck.
John

joeschmuck

Old Man
The adapters I bought didn't work
Exactly which adapters did you buy? A link would be helpful, at a minimum as a cautionary warning to others.

Octopuss

Patron
Drilling a hole would destroy the thread, and installing the adapter would be completely impossible then.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you have purchased these adapters and have no plans to return them, I would run a tap into each hole of the correct size for the screws to mount the drive adapters with the case screws. If you do not have a tap, then take a similar screw (doner screw) and force it into the threads. You may need to open up the hole slightly with either a drill or other tool to force the hole open enough to get the doner screw in place. Once the hole has been threaded for the new screw size, test fit it.

This is a very viable option and much cheaper than buying a new case.

One other option (the one I'd try first) and I have done this as well many moons ago and it worked for me. Place the provided four screws into the sides of the adapter. Now push the entire adapter into the drive cage. If you have difficultly pushing it in, that is a good thing. If you have to remove two screws from one side and then put them through the rubber grommets and screw them in place, that is even better because it shows a good tight fit. The objective is that the screws protrude enough to keep the adapter in place and will not let the adapter out even with a firm pull.

Etorix

Wizard
A new case will cause the least trouble and headaches over time.
The Node 804 is really meant to host lots of 3.5" drives and it does just that: No less, no more.

joeschmuck

Old Man
A Node 804 case costs a lot of money, well it would if I had to purchase one today. Any new case is just more money spent where it's not needed. If @Octopuss really wants to buy a new case, that is fine but I'd like to provide what I feel are reasonable solutions.

If the Node 804 was previously holding six HDD's, then I see no reason at all that is couldn't hold six 2.5" SSD's, and more. But drilling a few holes in the brackets would be all that was required, no additional adapters required for the four SSD's required. But the OP does have the adapters and those could easily be modified to work for this purpose, and be useful as well in the future, and maybe they do not need to be modified at all if the carriers will remain held in place by the rubber grommets when the side screws (which came with the adapters) are installed.

Octopuss

Patron
A new case will cause the least trouble and headaches over time.
The Node 804 is really meant to host lots of 3.5" drives and it does just that: No less, no more.
I wouldn't mind a smaller case, but after spending a few hours on google, I gave up, because what I might be looking for simply doesn't exist.

I ordered 3 different adapters and if neither will have appropriate holes, I will try to drill one of them.

Etorix

Wizard
If you know a bit of German, the search filters of geizahls.de make it very easy to find hardware with exactly your requirements (board size, type and number of drive bays).