SOLVED Forced to install new OS. Pools missing.

roachthehuman

Dabbler
Hello all,

I was having an issue updating my TrueNas server (unable to connect) so after exhausting all options I just downloaded the latest ISO and installed it onto my boot drive. Everything worked fine and I'm now able to connect for updates as well (which was my original problem) but now all my pools are missing. I had this issue before with FreeNas but everything is different in TrueNAS and I cant figure out what to do and I'm concerned with messing anything up. Can someone please give me some pointers?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Looks like you’ll need to reimport your pools. If you remember your pool names, you can import them from the web shell via zpool import -R /mnt <name of pool>. Alternatively, from the GUI, navigate to Storage->Pools, and click the Add button. From there, you’ll have a choice of creating a new pool or importing an existing pool.

roachthehuman

Dabbler
root@truenas[~]# zpool import -R /mnt OSVSL
cannot import 'OSVSL': a pool with that name already exists
use the form 'zpool import <pool | id> <newpool>' to give it a new name

Clearly the pool is still there so thats a plus. I'm still fairly new to the TrueNAS shell so any help is appreciated. I just want my pools to be exactly what they used to be.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
OK, then it's possible your pool was mounted at the root level instead of inside /mnt. Try zpool export OSVSL, and then zpool import -R /mnt OSVSL.

roachthehuman

Dabbler
I did those commands but it didn't look like they reinstated the pools, however, i did find the options of importing the pools by simply hitting "add" pool option. I don't know how I missed that but my pools are now back up and running. Thank you!