Confirm Pool Importation - OS reinstall

dsideriu

Cadet
For various reasons, I am going to install a new OS in my currently-FreeNAS setup. (Active Directory stopped working in the 'old' OS and I've failed to get it working again.) Plan is to pull the SSD where the FreeNAS-11.2-U8 OS currently lives, add a new SSD and install TrueNAS Core 12.0on that new SSD; this is done while leaving the existing 12x4TB ZFS RAID untouched. (I don't want any of that data going anywhere.) After I get the new TrueNAS OS running smoothly (Active Directory, services, etc.), then I will add the existing ZFS pool to the new NAS setup.

From my read of the TrueNAS documentation (https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/storage/pools/poolimport/), this should be as simple as using "Storage/Pools/ADD" then select "Import existing pool", select the 'old' ZFS pool, and done.

Please double check me: this appears very straightforward - am I missing anything? Or are there any surprises that I may encounter? I don't care about the share setup that I currently have - I can recreate all of the shares, but I absolutely need this ZFS pool to stay intact.

Alecmascot

Guru
Is your pool encrypted ?
Do you have any jails ?
If not, and you are prepared to rebuild the whole of the configuration, your plan looks ok.
You cannot make any shares before the pool is imported.

dsideriu

Cadet
Thank you! - Yes, the pool is not encrypted. I have never used jails, but when I check the Pools list, there are two jails listed. But nothing is inside those jails. Honestly, I don't even recall creating those jails - I'm not sure why they're there.

I am prepared to rebuild the whole config from scratch. Apart from Active Directory, it's mostly the NFS and SMB shares, which I've documented.

sretalla