Adding capacity to existing pool

sergdesign

Cadet
Hi,
i have a server on Xeon 4110, 32Gb RAM and 16 10Tb SATA HDD. TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1
All HDDs organized in one pool.
pool1.jpg

I need to increase my storage capacity, and I plan to buy 15 more 12TB drives.
Can I ask for advice on what to do - create another pool, or can I add disks to the existing one?
How are new disks added to the pool? Through the "Add Vdevs" menu?

pool2.jpg

Another question - is it possible to add several SSD disks to the pool to speed up I/O, and how exactly is this configured?

Thanks in advance for any help and answers!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can I ask for advice on what to do - create another pool, or can I add disks to the existing one?
Depends... do you like the current structure/shares, etc.? if so, adding a VDEV to the existing pool sounds like the right thing.

How are new disks added to the pool? Through the "Add Vdevs" menu?
Yes.
Another question - is it possible to add several SSD disks to the pool to speed up I/O, and how exactly is this configured?
Yes, A Special VDEV would be the way for that... a fast VDEV to catch small IO and metadata can be good (remembering it is then critical to pool survival, so mirror or even 3-way mirror is a good idea for it).

sergdesign

Cadet
Depends... do you like the current structure/shares, etc.? if so, adding a VDEV to the existing pool sounds like the right thing.
Thank you very much.
Yes, the main task is to save the current information and settings
Yes, A Special VDEV would be the way for that... a fast VDEV to catch small IO and metadata can be good (remembering it is then critical to pool survival, so mirror or even 3-way mirror is a good idea for it).
Thanks again.
I will wait for the drives (it is 4 pieces of 8TB samsung 870 QVO) and I will try.

TrueMan

Cadet
I am also trying to expand an existing pool but am running into an error. Any help would be appreciated.
Currently I have a pool of 3x 6TB hds and would like to add two more (2x 6TB hds) for a total of five(5), one at a time.
When I click settings/add vDev this is what I get.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.29.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.29.33 PM.png
    74 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 4.29.59 PM.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,482

danb35

Hall of Famer
Currently I have a pool of 3x 6TB hds and would like to add two more (2x 6TB hds) for a total of five(5), one at a time.
ZFS doesn't work that way. You could add another group of three disks in a second RAIDZ1 set, but you can't (currently; it's Coming Soon™) expand the pool by a disk at a time.

videopete

Dabbler
Your redundancy is WITHIN the vdev not the overall pool itself. So your existing pool has a single 3 disk vdev configured as RAIDZ1 (one disk could fail and you're still ok). Your screenshots are showing you're trying to add another RAIDZ1 vdev which requires 3 disks minimum. That way each vdev would have a single disk redundancy and your pool would be safe as long as you don't lose more than one disk per vdev group.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
(it is 4 pieces of 8TB samsung 870 QVO)

These are generally not a good choice for ZFS. Poor write endurance and some people have indicated that they've had significant problems with them. I believe some results are searchable on the forum.

sretalla