All Pools gone -100TB lost? After update to scopia -> HBA not recognized anymore...

M.F.

Dabbler
Hello folks,

recently I updated my scale angelfish server to cobia. After the update all pools where missing in the GUI. I cant detect any disks at all. I think the HBA is not recognized anymore. What to do? How can i check if the HBA is missing? I already tried restarted couple of times and tried to export/import the pools again ofer CLI but the CLI says there are no pools at all. I cant find any disks...

Please Help me, there are over 100 TB videofiles on the pools.

Adaptec ASR 71605 1GB - HBA
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3

bevore the Update I was on angelfish and it worked just fine for over two years...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-29 182647.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-29 182647.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. What's "adrenalin" and "scopia" supposed to be? The TrueNAS SCALE releases that match most closely are "angelfish" and "cobia".

2. That Adaptec controller is not supported. If it did sort of work in angelfish, that was by accident, but I would not rely on it. Don't use RAID controllers with TrueNAS - ever!

3. The solution to your current problem is simple: reinstall angelfish from scratch and import your pools.

4. Then think of a strategy to move to supported hardware.

chuck32

Guru
4. Then think of a strategy to move to supported hardware.
Couldn't OP just switch to a supported HBA in the first place and be done with it? Assuming they can afford the downtime whilst ordering and installing a suitable solution.
I just realized if it's a hardware raid card used before that probably won't work..

Last edited:

M.F.

Dabbler
Thanks a lot, sorry for the wrong namings, i was in a hurry and yes the files are important and downtime is crtical because we now have to work of external Backup-Drives in our videoproduction company.. Can I just throug a new HBA in that thing and import the pools? The Adaptec ASR 71605 was in HBA mode. It was not a RAID??

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
RAID Controller in "HBA mode" is not an HBA. Don't use.

But the fastest way to get your data back online is to reinstall angelfish. What's keeping you? There's a reason TrueNAS uses dedicated OS and storage devices ...

If you can simply switch controllers depends very much on what exactly this Adaptec thing does while in "HBA mode". So probably nobody can tell in advance.

Arwen

MVP
Actually the fastest way back, is to select the old, prior to update, boot environment. Then reboot. Should all be good. Except for the mess of trying to get rid of un-supported hardware & drivers... before next update.

Whattteva

Wizard

All Pools gone -100TB lost? After update to scopia -> HBA not recognized anymore...​

I will never understand the thinking behind people that host this much data that they don't want to lose without doing:
  • Research/due dilligence or at the very least read up on best practices and dos and dont's.
  • No backup strategy.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
  • Research/due dilligence or at the very least read up on best practices and dos and dont's.
Or hire someone qualified to do it. I also don't like spending my hard-earned money on a patent attorney when it comes to registering a trademark. But, given that at least here in Germany these guys usually have 2 really difficult universities degrees (law + physics is typical) and a PhD, it is not an option to accumulate that knowledge myself. TrueNAS is of course in another league. But spending 300 Euros to validate that something I really need for my business is money well spent (IMHO).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Actually the fastest way back, is to select the old, prior to update, boot environment.
Slapping my forehead. But of course ... thanks :smile:

M.F.

Dabbler
I will never understand the thinking behind people that host this much data that they don't want to lose without doing:
  • No backup strategy.
I did read about it. But TrueNAS scale was only one month out of beta at the time I build this server out of old components laying arround. I put all the old Harddrives in that server. At the time I read about HBA cards and I read somewhere that the Adaptec ASR 71605, should work if its in HBA mode. And it is only the Backup, beside of alot of 2 TB drives. There is also a Workstation with a dedicated Areca-Raid6, with all the files as well. But the workstation is down at the moment, so we have to work of the Backup. I did not thougth that the update will kill it all.

M.F.

Dabbler
Can you please explain to me how I perform this?
Actually the fastest way back, is to select the old, prior to update, boot environment. Then reboot. Should all be good. Except for the mess of trying to get rid of un-supported hardware & drivers... before next update.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
System Settings > Boot - select previous boot environment, activate, reboot system.

MrGuvernment

Patron
I did read about it. But TrueNAS scale was only one month out of beta at the time I build this server out of old components laying arround. I put all the old Harddrives in that server. At the time I read about HBA cards and I read somewhere that the Adaptec ASR 71605, should work if its in HBA mode. And it is only the Backup, beside of alot of 2 TB drives. There is also a Workstation with a dedicated Areca-Raid6, with all the files as well. But the workstation is down at the moment, so we have to work of the Backup. I did not thougth that the update will kill it all.

Consider this a lesson learned
1. Do not just use old parts lying around for a business critical system
2. make sure you read official documentation of what is supported direct from TrueNAS or knowledgeable people on the forums.
3. You do not have any backups, unless you have tested restores, 3-2-1 rule minimum.