SOLVED Folder disappeared after renaming folder with asterisk at start

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen thomas

Dabbler
I've added Ubuntu to our previous Mac only network, so I've switched everything over to SMB (changed permission type on the datasets to Windows, switched off AFP, switched on SMB services & created new SMB shares).

Some of the folders on our volumes started with an asterisk, but after the above changes, the names of these folders were garbled. I changed them back. I then looked at these folders on ubuntu and the asterisk was a very odd symbol (please see the attached screenshot).

Screenshot from 2017-04-11 20-44-38.png

I right clicked and selected rename. I typed in the same name again, using an asterisk at the start, an error popped up, then the folder vanished. It's also not visible from the macs on the network.

I've tried creating new folders on the SMB shares on Ubuntu which start with an asterisk, but it gives the following error: 'The item could not be renamed. Sorry, could not rename "Untitled Folder" to "*something": Cannot allocate memory'

Screenshot from 2017-04-11 20-54-44.png

Any ideas as to what has happened?

Has the folder disappeared into the ether, or is there a way of getting it back?

Is there a way of avoiding this in the future? Would be ideal if people are safe to name files and folders whatever they'd like (within reason obviously)

I checked the documentation before doing any of this and it seemed fine to change the permissions of the datasets:

"If you change your mind about the Permission Type, it is not necessary to recreate the volume/dataset, as existing data is not lost. However, changing from Windows to Unix or Mac will remove the extended permissions provided by ACLs from existing files."

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#change-permissions

PhilipS

Contributor

stephen thomas

Dabbler
Dam. ok no problem, can live without using the asterisk. Any ideas about where the folder has gone? Doesn't look like it's hidden. Interestingly enough though, I have an external NextCloud box connecting to the FreeNAS box for external shares. The folder that contained the folder that disappeared can no longer be accessed by NextCloud. On the web interface, a notification says "This directory is unavailable, please check the logs or contact the administrator". Makes me think that the data is there somehow and it's messing with NextCloud accessing that folder...

PhilipS

Contributor
Can you get a directory listing from the FreeNAS shell and see what it looks like there and rename it?

Last edited by a moderator:

stephen thomas

Dabbler
Can you get a directory listing from the freenas shell and see what it looks like there and rename it?

I could kiss you sir. It was showing up in the FreeNAS shell as " ?? Personal" above a hidden ".DS_Store". Managed to rename it with an mv. NextCloud is working with the folder again too. Phew! Thanks Philip :) (and m0nkey), you've been a huge help.

Status
Not open for further replies.