Unable to delete folder from Linux client

Status
Not open for further replies.

echelon5

Explorer
I have this strange problem with deleting files from SAMBA shares mounted from Linux. Here's my setup:
Client OS: Debian 9 . Only custom setting is "smb min protocol = 2.1" in smb.conf. I've disabled smb 1 on FreeNAS and I need this setting client side to connect form Linux.
FreeNAS: 11.1-U1 but I've noticed this on 11.0-U4 too
Shared folder is on a dataset with Windows permissions and everything seems in order. I have the following parameters enabled on the share: zfs_space, zfsacl,aio_pthread,streams_xattr. I can delete a folder from Windows without error.

Problem: I connect to the same SAMBA share with the same credentials that work on Windows. I delete a folder from Nautilus, the GUI hangs a bit on the deletion process, and then it looks like the folder is gone. When I re-access the parent folder, the "deleted" folder is still there. I can see it from FreeNAS CLI too. Linux doesn't throw any error.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

EDIT: I did some more tests
It seems that folders created from Windows can't be deleted from Mac or Linux. I can delete them from Windows only.
I've created 3 folders from Linux. I can delete from Mac and Windows, but I can't delete them from Linux.
I've created 3 folders from Mac. I can delete them from Windows, but can't from Mac and Linux.

EDIT 2: I've completely reset the permissions fot the dataset and I still have this problem.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

From the Linux system, what is the ACLs for the folder? Also, what is the umask value?

echelon5

Explorer
From the Linux system, what is the ACLs for the folder? Also, what is the umask value?

I don't have access to the share right now, but I have the same problem on a new freenas install with a domain account. Here's sample acl for a redirected folder.

Code:
# file: user.name/
# owner: domain\user.name
# group: domain\nas admins
group:domain\domain.admin.user:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----I:allow
			group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----I:allow
group:domain\domain admins:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----I:allow
			owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:------I:allow
	group:90000010:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fdi---I:allow

I can write a file from a Mac, but I can delete it only from a Windows PC.

Nick2253

Wizard
I have the same problem on a new freenas install with a domain account.
I just set up a brand new FreeNAS 11.1U1 system in a VM, and I am unable to replicate this problem. All I've done is:
  • Join Domain
  • Create dataset (select "Windows" for share type)
  • Change permissions on dataset to be owned by domain\user and domain\domain admins
  • Share dataset
Everything else was left as the defaults.

echelon5

Explorer
I just set up a brand new FreeNAS 11.1U1 system in a VM, and I am unable to replicate this problem. All I've done is:
  • Join Domain
  • Create dataset (select "Windows" for share type)
  • Change permissions on dataset to be owned by domain\user and domain\domain admins
  • Share dataset
Everything else was left as the defaults.

Thanks for trying.

In my setup, the user is not the owner, but has full access to the folder. I’ve set a domain admin as owner and used that account to give the user full access. The system is a freenas mini and the setup is pretty basic.

I had an additional problem with setting Owner/creator permissions (for folder redirection) which I’ve solved with setting aux parameter nfs4:mode=simple (suggestion I found in the forum). Weirldy, another older whitebox build didn’t have this problem but that one was setup originally with 9.10, currently running 11.1U1.

I’m gonna do some more tests next week.

[edit]. I just remembered. The user *is* the owner for the AD folder but I didn’t check if it got fixed after setting the custom parameter.

[edit2] so, it seems that it’s fixed. Setting nfs4:mode=simple fixed the AD folder problem. It also seems that I can’t replicate the problem on my home FreeNAS either. Maybe a reboot fixed it, or maybe there was something with Debian. Dunno.

Last edited:

echelon5

Explorer
Short update on the problem. Maybe it'll help someone else.

There seems to be something on Debian's side too. I've tried deleting a folder and wouldn't work (no errors). So I loaded Ubuntu 16.04, tried deleting the same folder and it worked. I don't know what to make of it.

[EDIT] : it seems it's Nautilus' fault. I managed to delete the same folders by using Thunar. I managed to replicate the issue on Fedora 27.

Last edited:

ross0201

Dabbler
Short update on the problem. Maybe it'll help someone else.

There seems to be something on Debian's side too. I've tried deleting a folder and wouldn't work (no errors). So I loaded Ubuntu 16.04, tried deleting the same folder and it worked. I don't know what to make of it.

[EDIT] : it seems it's Nautilus' fault. I managed to delete the same folders by using Thunar. I managed to replicate the issue on Fedora 27.
Thanks for this update. I had exactly the same problem and switching to Thunar fixed it!

pmv800

Cadet
Thunar is a good workaround in the interim. Well I hope Ubuntu 18.04 has a fix for this since adding files/folders works, and deleting files, and empty folders works from the native file browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.