Cannot delete some files (Samba and NFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_pedriyo

Explorer
Hello,

I was just deleting and moving files from folder, and I got up to a point where some folders including shortcuts files or thumbs.db files are making me impossible to delete them. It just displays an error saying that the files is being in use by another app (which is not).
I am currently using samba for accesing that dataset from windows, and NFS for accesing it from linux servers. I wanted to know if maybe I am losing any samba optimization or configuration to solve this.

Can anyone help me with this?

Kind regards

el_pedriyo

Explorer
Hello,

So I have been testing during all afternoon, and I discovered some post in where they were saying that for havin CIFS the permissions type should be windows permissions type and not UNIX ones. I was testing with UNIX ones and it seems that only the root user of the dataset had full control permissions, but the group didn't. So when I was trying to delete some files in my dataset from windows with UNIX permissions type, it seemed that I couldn't delete them, and when I oppened the permissions of the file, it appeared that the group users didn't have writable permissions, only readable ones.
This issue was curious because it was only happening with my windows 7 SO, I tried with windows 10 and seemed not to be having this problem, although windows 10 also was seeing that the permissions structure was the group only having readable ones, but I could edit and work from the windows 10.
I also tryed changing the UNIX root user from the dataset and tryed to login the samba files with that one, in that case I could finally edit my files from windows 7.
So in conclusion, it seems like windows samba protocol in windows 7 is not happy with UNIX user group perms, and I assume the only way of making it work will be changing all systems to windows 10 or even using windows perms for that datasets.
After all this testing, I still have a question for you. Is all of these correct? And in case it is, how will linux work with NFS with the dataset being with windows perms? As I currently need to access the same information from windows and linux devices.

Kind regards

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
If you are using Windows 7 there's a easy solution for this.

1. Copy a jpg file to the directory you can't delete.
2. Change the wiev to "medium icons" (or what it's called) in Windows 7 file explorer.
3. Wait at least 5 seconds, give it a bit more time that it needs to remove the thumbs.db file.
4. Delete the directory.

Easy as apple pie when you have figured ot ;-)
Just don't get me started on how to rid the file system of the crap MacOS litters.

el_pedriyo

Explorer
Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion but it was just also happening when trying to delete .avi .mkv files or .doc, whatever the file, it seemed that it was a problem of permissions type setting them to UNIX and accesing from the owner group in windows. Think I have already solved it at the moment just accesing with the owner of the dataset instead of accesing with the group. Will see if I do not get more problems with this.

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.