Flat file CMS

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Does anyone here have any experience with any of the MANY flat file CMS options out there? Reason I ask is I have been running a really nice one called chowdown for a couple years now and I really like it. Only problem is like a lot of FOSS projects it's no longer maintained. I recently updated the jail that hosts it and it broke and I'm not smart enough to fix it. Luckily snapshots saved the day and I have it back up and running until I can find a replacement.

So far I've got dokuwiki up and running but I'm not sure I'll like it for what I want to do with it. I've also got pico up and running and I've added all my recipes and it's working great but pretty basic. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience or preference for a flat file CMS and could suggest some options to look at to see if I can find what I want. I've always found this place to have some of the most well informed users of just about any forum I visit so I respect the opinions I get here.

Thanks

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
I’ve been looking for this myself, we where using docuwiki at my last job and I hated it.

I never got there and then I nuked my pool.. but I was going to try https://getgrav.org/ for keeping track of the house projects and to start documenting my own hosted stuff (I rely to much on remembering modifications to a collection of online how-tos)

I haven’t tried it, but it keeps winning awards and is markdown based.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I like both Hugo and Pelican. Both run on your local desktop/laptop and then push flat files to the web server by any common means (SSH, FTP, ...)

Hugo is a monolithic go application while Pelican is written in python. I guess that leaves more room for plugins/customization in the latter.

HTH,
Patrick

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess a lot of the answer is going to be determined by what you're actually wanting to do with it. If it's a matter of "post a few static pages, but make them look nicer", a site template like Skeleton might to the trick for you--it isn't a CMS, really, just some CSS that makes it easier to hand-code decent-looking HTML pages. I use (and like) Dokuwiki as, well, a wiki--it hosts Fester's guide as well as some other stuff.

I know I asked a similar question here a while back, and I thought it was here, but I can't find that thread to point you there.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well I got some time to play around with things this evening. Got grav installed and running and it looks promising. Lots of themes to choose from and a nice admin page to run it. Also just got done installing hugo (which is available as a package in the repo) and found that they have a chowdown theme listed on their site! That's exactly what I was looking for, a chowdown replacement but I never expected to find a clone. Now if I can just figure out how to get hugo to run........

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok I finally figured out how to get hugo running. But what a PIA it is trying to use the gochowdown theme. I messed around with this thing for about 3 hours tonight and finally gave up on it. I was so disappointed too since I thought I had a replacement for what I was using.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I like both Hugo and Pelican. Both run on your local desktop/laptop and then push flat files to the web server by any common means (SSH, FTP, ...)
Going back and reading this again I need some clarification. Were you refering to an application that runs on your desktop for these?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, sure. Static file CMS - runs on desktop, pushes static content to server. Editors can collaborate through git.