Cable management

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just moved back to the USA and am having some cable management issues. My house doesn't have an attic crawlspace (flat roof) and so I'm considering using cable raceways / channels to run CAT6. I'm referring to something like this.

Overseas I could buy 1m for about $0.75. Most places I look online cost ~$5-10/m. Are there any distributors / stores in the USA that sell these products for approximately $1/yard?

Then again, I may be going about this the wrong way. How do you do cable management in your homes / apartments?

leenux_tux

Patron
Depending on your requirements you could always consider the homeplug Ethernet option. I use a number of them around the house and they do work very well, for my setup anyway and I do a fair amount of music/video streaming to five devices, plus backups of various devices to my freenas box.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Depending on your requirements you could always consider the homeplug Ethernet option. I use a number of them around the house and they do work very well, for my setup anyway and I do a fair amount of music/video streaming to five devices, plus backups of various devices to my freenas box.
I'm in the process of setting up a home lab / server room for testing various things. Mostly setting up, breaking, fixing, troubleshooting, etc. Powerline networking is one more variable that's hard to control, but I may look into something like that for the other parts of the house since it looks like it will be cheaper than cable channel.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Legrand/Wiremold has a bit of a stranglehold on this sort of thing in the US, IMHO. Even through a distributor the products tend to be fairly pricey. The big box home improvements sometimes carry stuff like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-28-ft-Home-Entertainment-Cord-Cover-Kit-C4050/100657464

which approaches $1/ft, which is pretty good for Legrand. Beyond that you have to go to more generic stuff. For a wide selection at merely-terrible prices (not because they're ripping you off, but rather because that's the way it seems to go here in the US) take a look at http://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/

Status
Not open for further replies.