Flash HP H220 HBA LSI 9205-8i from P15 to P20

darowley

Dabbler
I have a used HP 220 / LSI 9205-8i that I purchased from ebay but apparently it needs to be flashed with newer firmware. Here is some more info on the situation from a previous thread. - The last 6 posts...
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/10th-build-needing-guidance.59545/#post-523049

I tried following the guide, but didn't have any luck. I have googled a few different guides, but I keep getting stuck trying to make the bootable usb.

Also:

I have this card to flash, a 9211 in IR mode that I need to change to IT, and anther 9211 that might need updating at some point. I assume that I will also buy more in the future, so I would like to understand how to do this outside of FreeNAS but i'm also looking forward to trying it via freenas but i'm not sure where to start.

I assume that I need to still clear / wipe the HBA using megarec then run sas2flash. Or is there a tutorial that exists?
I will admit that while I do understand the idea of what i'm trying to accomplish, the specific steps to do such are very foreign to me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

darowley

Dabbler
This is the guide I tried to follow but got stuck on....

I can't seem to get the usb to work / boot to dos with out errors.

My HP H220 / 9205-8i is currently installed in a Dell XPS 8920, no drives or backplane attached

When making the usb, I used Rufus portable, then copied the files from "USB" (I assume he mean the ZIP file called "MINIMAL_USB_FOR_9211_v2.zip") then it asks if I want to replace files!!! First I tried NOT replacing the files. Upon booting (BIOS only, UEFI is not an option), I get the C: prompt, but before the C: prompt, there are many errors, one being "Incorrect MS-DOS version". Upon trying to run the sas2flsh -listall command, I get a "PAL" error. The directions say that this is because I need to boot via EFI (I assume this is UEFI, which is not an option at boot).

Second I tried pasting and "replacing" the files. That gave more errors and no C: prompt.

I then downloaded the firmware from broadcom and noticed that there was an x64 sas2flash so I tried using windows. I was able to run the sas2flash -listall command and see my adapter, but I couldn't erase the flash "using this platform".... bummer. So it's back to the USB route.

When I run rufus:
Boot Selection: FreeDOS
Partition scheme: MBR (only option)
Target system: "BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)" (only option).
File system: FAT32 / Cluster 16k

Am I making / preparing this USB incorrectly?

I've now spent at least 2.5 45 hours on this, possibly more.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The contents of the zip file get added to a sub-directory, nothing should be overwritten.
I've now spent at least 2.5 45 hours on this, possibly more.
Sorry. It shouldn't take that long. If you have an even older system that doesn't have UEFI, you can use the DOS version of the commands, but on systems that have UEFI firmware, you must use the UEFI version of the flash utility.