Fix for Slow SMB Reads on Windows 10 1809 or newer - FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1

Threevil

Cadet
I know this may not help everyone but I've noticed other people with possibly overlapping issues and thought I would share my experience to hopefully save someone else some pain. YMMV

I've been troubleshooting my SMB connections for a while now and wasn't having much luck, but using the forums I was able to determine FreeNAS wasn't the problem. I have a 1Gb network, but I couldn't be sure of anything when it came to the slowdown.

I was getting 110MB/s up to the FreeNAS box but I was only getting 60-75MB/s down.

Looking through this forum, I saw I should use iperf and was able to confirm that I had (very nearly) the theoretical limit for my connection between my Windows machine and my FreeNAS server. I also ran the dd test and saw that I was getting 250-400MB/s there.

Once I knew the network was solid and I knew FreeNAS didn't have internal throughput issues with storage, I fell back on Windows being the culprit. AFter scouring the net for what might be causing it, I made a single change in the registry on my windows machine:

Regedit

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

add

DirectoryCacheLifetime Dword=0

And suddenly (without rebooting) my SMB copies were reading from FreeNAS at 110MB/s.

Hope this helps someone else out there banging their head over this.