First try -Deploy Small hyper-converged Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Foran

Cadet
New to FreeNAS. I have a very small customer who in the short term needs NAS for storage, but down the road would like to move to virtualization. When I say small - tiny would be more like it. they have 1 DC/ File server and 5 work stations. However, the owner has to be one of the most dedicated data backup - DR minded person I've ever come across. They do not have a server room, and whatever I build them needs to be reasonably quite.
So I am looking to build them a FreeNAS 9.10 box to satisfy their immediate need, but provision it properly so that once FreeNAS 10 is ready for prime time I can upgrade them and add VMs. I'd start out with simple a virtual member DC and replace their physical boxes with VM's as they die off.
The components I am looking at are as follows:

Supermicro Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Motherboards X11SSM-F-O

Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 SkyLake 3.0 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31220V5 Server Processor

WD Red 2TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD20EFRX

Fractal Design Node 804 No Power Supply MicroATX Cube Case FD-CA-NODE-804-BL, Black

EVGA Supernova G2 650W 220-G2-0650-Y1 Fully Modular Power Supply

Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer LP Server Memory - 32 GB

I don't think the memory is correct, I need to check further. Crucial site didn't like the model number when I tried to find correct memory module.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TU Jim

m0nkey_

MVP
Crucial site didn't like the model number when I tried to find correct memory module.
You're searching for Samsung modules on the Crucial web site?

Aside from that, it looks good. How many drives are you installing, because you're only listing one. To get any sort of resiliency, you need to have two or more drives.

One final thing, you'll also need a boot drive. This can be either a pair of USB thumb drives (such as the Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB) or a small SSD.

James Foran

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback.
No, the samsung was thrown on the list to demonstrate I understood that supermicro supported ECC memory was needed.
Crucial choked on the MOBO model number, I call them.
I am also considering the Lian Li case you have in your build.. are you happy with it?

I recommend this case over yours. It has 8 hotswap 3.5 inch bays for around the same price as yours, (future expansion, look it up on youtube)
SilverStone DS380B Black Aluminum front door, SECC body NAS chassis Premium 8-bay Small Form Factor NAS Chassis SFX PSU (sold separately) Power Supply
Are you using a DS380? If so, how are your drive temperatures? There are numerous reports on this forum about poor drive cooling with that case, unless you modify it.

droeders

Contributor
No, the samsung was thrown on the list to demonstrate I understood that supermicro supported ECC memory was needed.
Crucial choked on the MOBO model number, I call them.

I just ordered memory direct from Crucial for the same motherboard. It's about 100 hours into memtest with no errors so far.

Note that the RAM chips had the same Micron part number as compatible memory on the Supermicro site.

Here's a link to compatible memory for this MB:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Supermicro/x11ssm-f

Status
Not open for further replies.