First server build

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I also want to be able to do 4k streaming.
I have posted this link a few times before, and I will continue to do so as I think it is worth knowing for everyone:
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

In short, although I have a 4K smart TV and I use Plex to stream video to it, I do not concern myself with making accommodations for 4k streaming. I encode all my video to 1080p and Plex is perfectly capable of making that look great on the 4k TV in the living room or downsizing it to 720p for the smaller, older TV in the kids room.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there any way to run two SSD or more than 1 hdd off a single stata port?
Not with the SATA ports that come integrated on the system board and I don't suggest using a SATA port multiplier as they are not very reliable.
Can I use raidz2 with an HDD connected to the motherboard and those connected to a hba?
ZFS will address disks across controllers, so you could have some connected to the system board and others connected to a SAS controller. All will work together.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For the 16gb ram does it need 2 cards or can I get 1 at a time and just keep adding as my pocket book allows.
You should be fine with a single module, just be sure it is in the correct slot, some boards can be picky about it if you have the memory module in the wrong place. If I recall correctly, it would be the slot farthest from the CPU on the side with the power input, but that is from memory, so check the manual.

julong

Dabbler
This is a cool video about extending an existing pool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76qnBjZF65g

A jail is like a virtual machine but it uses the kernel of the host. But conceptually you can think of it as a virtual machine or a container.

When you install a plugin through the GUI (like Plex for example) it automatically will create a jail for you where Plex will be running in.

So if I am not miss understanding the video. I can expand my existing zpool of 6 hard drives. But to do so I have to buy 6 more drives to match. And if the first zdrive was raidz2 it has to stay raidz2. Or I can just start a new pool with the 6 new drives and tell Plex that new data is in that pool?

jsherm101

Dabbler
So if I am not miss understanding the video. I can expand my existing zpool of 6 hard drives. But to do so I have to buy 6 more drives to match. And if the first zdrive was raidz2 it has to stay raidz2. Or I can just start a new pool with the 6 new drives and tell Plex that new data is in that pool?

There are vdevs (a collection of hard drives you assign together to mirror, have RAIDZ, RAIDZ2, etc.), and then there are zpools, a collection of 1 or more vdevs that get treated as a single "storage pool" like /mnt/tank. You make a zpool by combining drives into 1 or more groups of vdevs. Your "zdrive" doesn't have raidz2 in your example, your "vdev" has raidz2" and it's in a zpool.

In that situation you can either start a new vdev with 12 drives (which is really the upper limit of how big a vdev should be) and backup/copy the data over, or you can simply add another vdev of 6 drives into your zpool, so you'd have two vdevs, both with six drives, both with raidz2 and 2 drive parity. This is called extending a pool.

A real life example: I started my build with a zpool containing one vdev with 4x4TB in raidz. I later upgraded and bought 4 more 8tb drives, which I made into a raidz vdev as well and then extended my pool. My pool has two vdevs, each with raidz (1 drive parity)

In terms of parity, if two 4TB drives were to fail in my pool, I'd lose the entire pool and data on both vdevs. If a 4TB and an 8TB fail, then I would not lose my pool. That's how a pool <-> vdev <-> hard drives works.

If you set up a single vdev of 12 drives in Raidz2, then 10 drives at 6TB would be available to you and you'd have 2 drive redundance in your single vdev of your total pool.
If you set up two vdevs of 6 drives in Raidz2, then 8 drives at 6TB would be available to you and you'd have 2 drive redundancy in each vdev of your total pool. You need to put this drive in its own pool instead (much like the SSD I use to store my jail webservers, which gets snapshots stored back in the main storage pool)

Lastly, I don't believe the zpool will stop you from doing something stupid, like add a vdev of a single drive with no parity to your pool. If you do this, and that drive fails, you will lose your entire pool.

There are plans to eventually get RaidZ extension support, which would allow you to add drives to a vdev without wiping it, but that's not yet available AFAIK.

Hope this explanation helps.

Last edited:

julong

Dabbler
There are vdevs (a collection of hard drives you assign together to mirror, have RAIDZ, RAIDZ2, etc.), and then there are zpools, a collection of 1 or more vdevs that get treated as a single "storage pool" like /mnt/tank. You make a zpool by combining drives into 1 or more groups of vdevs. Your "zdrive" doesn't have raidz2 in your example, your "vdev" has raidz2" and it's in a zpool.

In that situation you can either start a new vdev with 12 drives (which is really the upper limit of how big a vdev should be) and backup/copy the data over, or you can simply add another vdev of 6 drives into your zpool, so you'd have two vdevs, both with six drives, both with raidz2 and 2 drive parity. This is called extending a pool.

A real life example: I started my build with a zpool containing one vdev with 4x4TB in raidz. I later upgraded and bought 4 more 8tb drives, which I made into a raidz vdev as well and then extended my pool. My pool has two vdevs, each with raidz (1 drive parity)

In terms of parity, if two 4TB drives were to fail in my pool, I'd lose the entire pool and data on both vdevs. If a 4TB and an 8TB fail, then I would not lose my pool. That's how a pool <-> vdev <-> hard drives works.

If you set up a single vdev of 12 drives in Raidz2, then 10 drives at 6TB would be available to you and you'd have 2 drive redundance in your single vdev of your total pool.
If you set up two vdevs of 6 drives in Raidz2, then 8 drives at 6TB would be available to you and you'd have 2 drive redundancy in each vdev of your total pool. You need to put this drive in its own pool instead (much like the SSD I use to store my jail webservers, which gets snapshots stored back in the main storage pool)

Lastly, I don't believe the zpool will stop you from doing something stupid, like add a vdev of a single drive with no parity to your pool. If you do this, and that drive fails, you will lose your entire pool.

There are plans to eventually get RaidZ extension support, which would allow you to add drives to a vdev without wiping it, but that's not yet available AFAIK.

Hope this explanation helps.

Thanks that made more sense than what I understood when listening to it.

jsherm101

Dabbler
I found this 500gb SSD on sale
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500G...d=1550816036&s=gateway&tag=bestcont06-20&th=1

Should I get 2 of these for mirroring the OS. Or should I get something smaller? Any recommendations? I jus worried about it getting full. My sdd that hods m is on my main computer seems to always some how keep getting less memory on it and I don't put stuff on it. Thanks

The boot drive just holds a few files / configs that you can easily backup with a shell script job. Everything else goes in the pol. You can get a single SSD or use a flash drive.

julong

Dabbler
The boot drive just holds a few files / configs that you can easily backup with a shell script job. Everything else goes in the pol. You can get a single SSD or use a flash drive.

One of the previous posters recommended 2 sdd for mirroring so if one fails it's safer.

Would an SSD like Samsung Evo be the best?

jsherm101

Dabbler
One of the previous posters recommended 2 sdd for mirroring so if one fails it's safer.
ah yes. I thought you meant the boot drive by "OS", not the "boot pool". Yes, anything with significant data should be mirrored or have some kind of parity. Drives are up to you. If you're just putting FreeNAS and jail files on your boot pool, I'm not super sure if you'll need so much as 500GB, but you can do some back of the envelope math by looking at the sizes of the various installs. My FreeNAS Jails are only a few gigs in size each.

IQless

Contributor

Would an SSD like Samsung Evo be the best?
Yes, two SSD's in mirror would be safer, but the OS uses very little storage. Do remember that you can not use the SSD to anything other than the OS. Therefore a 500GB SSD will go unused, much cheaper to look for a 120GB SSD, or a used enterprise SSD off of Ebay.

julong

Dabbler
ah yes. I thought you meant the boot drive by "OS", not the "boot pool". Yes, anything with significant data should be mirrored or have some kind of parity. Drives are up to you. If you're just putting FreeNAS and jail files on your boot pool, I'm not super sure if you'll need so much as 500GB, but you can do some back of the envelope math by looking at the sizes of the various installs. My FreeNAS Jails are only a few gigs in size each.

What do you mean boot pool? I was told to put Plex on the HDD that I put my movies on.

julong

Dabbler
Yes, two SSD's in mirror would be safer, but the OS uses very little storage. Do remember that you can not use the SSD to anything other than the OS. Therefore a 500GB SSD will go unused, much cheaper to look for a 120GB SSD, or a used enterprise SSD off of Ebay.
Is there a reason you can't do anything other than os on ssd?

julong

Dabbler
Also a little off topic but is there any way to use my server or Plex to watch Chinese tv? Of Hong Kong tv. My wife wants to be able to watch these and this has been hard to find info on if Plex supports this.

IQless

Contributor
I found this SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-120...?keywords=Ssd&qid=1550822738&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I know there have been issues with Kingston posted in the fourms dies that include SSD? I know you get what you pay for so is this to cheap?
IMO that would be more than adequate for an OS SSD. You can go mirror just to be safe.

Also a little off topic but is there any way to use my server or Plex to watch Chinese tv? Of Hong Kong tv. My wife wants to be able to watch these and this has been hard to find info on if Plex supports this.
I don't know if Plex is capable of this, but check out the Plex forums, maybe they know if this is possible.