Editing RAID/NAS First Build

salvapost

Cadet
Hello, I am a Professional into book/photo editing and video. I have a case that has space for 8xHDD and 9xSSD.
I am looking for a convenient way to edit and store my file.

I don’t have too much knowledge on RAID and FreeNAS.

I was thinking to Install FreNAS and create a RAID/NAS with 4/5 HDD for my editing and storage (QNAP style). I can expand it more HDD if needed.

Can I have my regular OS (Windows 10 with a RAID/NAS in the same case?
Which RAID is more convenient?

Thank you for your help.

JJDuru

Dabbler
While your post is extremely thin on technical details and lacks bare minimum of research, the desired scenario of having FreeNAS & Windows 10 running on the same computer is doable: make a configuration to have an esxi hypervisor, install freenas as a virtual machine and make it use a passthrough SAS controller, create a virtual machine with windows 10.
To be noted, you would still need an additional computer to interact with your nifty config. FreeNAS is not an operating system for desktops.

Evertb1

Guru
I am under the impression that you will be depending on your storage solution for your professional live. But your post also let me think that you are badly in need for a lot of knowledge.

Starting with FreeNAS for your storage is a very involved process. For some time you will have an extra job so to speak. At this point in time I don't think it is advisable for you to start with FreeNAS (or any other diy storage solution) before you are well informed and have a good idea about your wants and needs.

You would be a lot saver with a store bought plug and play solution with support. Of course if you can spend the time and are willing to learn, FreeNAS has a lot to offer.

salvapost

Cadet
I would like to thank you for your responses and apologize for my lack of research, after I did that I realize that my questions were not relevant.