First post! and system in a weird place

paleheart

Cadet
Hi all!

Ive been running truenas for a while, going all the way back to freenas and normally I can solve most of my issues with a little googling but I require greyer beards than mine this go round.

So heres my layout

I have one nas pc (old desktop, 2 core celeron, 32gb ram)

connected to its internal sata controller I have
one ssd as the boot device (online and working)
four hd's (that show up but arent in a pool, more in a second)

then i have an hba hooked to one jbod with 12 disks (also showing online and functional)

last night the system goes down and i haven't been able to determine the cause but system comes back, hba array comes back, internal array shows offline.

So i go check and all the disks show, phew I think. but the pool shows as offline with no disks and i have a message in my alert list to upgrade the zfs version for the internal array.

I tried zpool status and it wasnt there, so i tried zpool import and i can see the pool (two mirror vdevs) with all the disks.

thinking maybe i could reimport it I ran zpool import <poolname> but it didnt take, trying it with -f gives me 'invalid vdev configuration'

I tried to detach the pool using the gui thinking maybe it needs to be out of the way before i import, but it fails part way through the process

and thats where im at, my most critical files are backed up but im really trying not to lose the whole pool.

paleheart

Cadet
specifically heres the output of import
zpoolimport.png

paleheart

Cadet
I did notice this message in my alert list but the system has been up for a month or so and I havent run an update since december.

I think this pool does date back to freenas, could it be a version problem?

zpool 2.png

chuck32

Guru
I did notice this message in my alert list but the system has been up for a month or so and I havent run an update since december.
This message can be ignored unless you know that you want the new feature flags. As it says it's a one time process you can't revert then. Don't try to upgrade (although it probably isn't possible currently anyway) before you fixed your pool.

paleheart

Cadet
yeah the base4 pool (the internal one) only appears on the import list so isnt an eligible target. I just noted it because the message appears to be from after the power off, like truenas is still looking for the pool, seeing it, then bailing.

It just made me wonder if truenas wasnt seeing the mismatch and preventing the pool from starting.

paleheart

Cadet
So I tried a little basic troubleshooting and reseated all my cables then I removed one disk at a time to see if maybe one was corrupt and preventing the pool from starting but no dice.

same error each time

paleheart

Cadet
so reading around a little more I found where I could get info on the last transaction which i think shows the error.

Since at this point im just trying to get my data off before i blow this pool away and start over could I roll back to an earlier transaction?

zpool3.png

paleheart

Cadet
so poking around a little more (im trying not to be too hasty and jump to something that will hose things up worse) I noticed that importing in readonly is supposed to skip a few checks and low and behold doing an import with readonly=on seems to have mounted the pool.

the file list looks right in the terminal so im going to see if i can copy my data out before I try anything more drastic

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Welcome to the forum!

Please, as per the forum rules (linked in red at the top. middle of the screen), describe your hardware at the required level of detail.