Completely lost my pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

losip

Cadet
Hi, I'm fairly new to FreeNAS but v8.0.2 has run successfully for a couple of months. I have one ZFS-1 pool created using 5 x 2Tb disks and one of these recently failed. I followed the instructions for replacing the drive and it finished resilvering after two days. So far, so good. However, when I tried the command: zpool detach Array /dev/ada1/old, I got the reply: No such device. I then went to the GUI and tried to auto-import the volume which returned an error message and my whole pool/volume disappeared.

Back to the console, I tried a zpool status and that said "no pools available", while zpool import shows a degraded set of disks but says that the pool can be imported. zpool import Array (the pool name is Array) rattles the disk drives for a while and then says: "failed to create mountpoint" and after that zpool import returns nothing until after a reboot. I have tried mkdir /mnt/Array both before and after the import but it makes no difference.

Have I completely destroyed my volume or am I doing something wrong. Any help would be much appreciated and avoid losing 7Tb of data (fortunately just inconvenient; not critical).

Attachments

• IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0348.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 264

ProtoSD

MVP
Have I completely destroyed my volume or am I doing something wrong. Any help would be much appreciated and avoid losing 7Tb of data (fortunately just inconvenient; not critical).

It sounds like you're doing something wrong. Try this from the command line:

mount -uw /

mkdir /mnt/Array (This is will be your TEMPORARY mountpoint, it *should be* the same name as your pool)

zpool import Array

If that works, your data is fine, you just need to get it to autoimport from the GUI. I recommend upgrading to 8.0.3-p1
The GUI may be confused about the devices in your old/new pool.

EDIT: If the command line works above, then export your pool, zpool export Array
Then try Auto Import from the GUI again.

losip

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. The following worked OK with no errors reported:

mount -uw /
mkdir /mnt/Array
zpool import Array

but when I did:
zpool export Array, I got five similar messages to:

cannot open 'Array/SANp1' : dataset does not exist - one for each disk in the volume.

And, more importantly, the GUI still won't Auto Import Volume, giving an unhelpful message: "Sorry, an error ocurred". However, I did notice that the disks were numbered from 1 to 5, not 0 to 4 so it appeared I had tried to detach the wrong disk. There was still no such device as ada2/old but I managed to detach ada2p1 which was showing on the zpool status -v.

This time, I was able to Auto Import from the GUI; it had lost some of the iSCSI settings but after replacing these I've got my files back although the volume is still in a degraded state and I guess I'll have to start the resilvering over again and then try again to online it. I guess I'll have to crack the syntax of zpool attach and zpool online. Any hints will be welcome.

Thanks for your help; it put me on the right lines and got my data back.

Status
Not open for further replies.