First NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcm3

Cadet
Hey all, new lurker here and first time NAS builder. The goal of my FreeNAS is media sharing with plex, storing photos and saving HD footage from my 4 1080p PoE cameras for my house.

I originally intended on doing some grand buildout and after sitting on it for a bit, went with something much more modest:

ASUS P8P67-DELUXE motherboard
Intel i5-2500k Processor
8 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM (non-ECC)
4x 3 TB WD RED

Everything but the drives were pulled out of my previous gaming rig which I just upgraded this past summer that were literally just sitting in the closet. I realize that non-ECC isn't the way to go and I can lose my data using it, unfortunately this processor doesn't support it however. I'll be implementing backups for the data however. I'm piecing together the parts for a full blown NAS which will be compatible, just not quite there yet. I'll also be adding another 8 GB RAM in this rig ASAP so that FreeNAS will play a little better with it.

Anyone running a similar build that's had good success/or vice-versa?

Nice to meet everyone and I'll see you guys around I'm sure

Joe

Glorious1

Guru
Hi, welcome to the forum. If you're looking for comment on your proposed build, you might consider putting it on the Hardware forum and asking for comment. There are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge. I'm not one of them, but I know you will get some static about the non-ECC. I'm wondering about the motherboard too, that doesn't look like a server board, no IPMI? Be prepared for some rough treatment if it seems you haven't done your homework ;)

Check out
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/
Good luck!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Agree with Glorious1, you may (better make that "will") get some flack. It is not because people want to show off or be "holier than thou", it mainly is because they want you be be fully aware of what can/will/should/would happen by not running the proper hardware.

That being said, you mentioned that you will be backing up as well so that is a good thing. Just don't end up counting on your setup 100% and forgetting to eventually get to the right setup you are already piecing the parts of for.

I realize that non-ECC isn't the way to go and I can lose my data using it, unfortunately this processor doesn't support it however. I'll be implementing backups for the data however.
If the RAM goes bad, the data could be corrupted, with no indication to the user. The most recent backup would be a backup of the corrupted data. The only way to ensure you have good data is to have incremental backups that go all the way back to when the file was last changed. There is lots more info at the start of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.