First NAS Build for Non Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZucchiniZe

Cadet
Hi, I'm building a NAS for a non profit that I am part of. The main use case for the NAS is going to be a file share for multiple concurrent video and photography editors. I've been reading up a lot on FreeNAS and ZFS and have tried to pick decently priced hardware that abides by all of the hardware recommendations that I have come across.

I've put together a google sheet with all of the components that I have decided to use.
Link

If you have any recommendations for changes or tips for setup I'd love to hear them!

- Alex

m0nkey_

MVP
Welcome to the forums :)

Suggest you swap the motherboard for the SSM model and use Sandisk Ultra Fit USB drives for booting.

Other than that, looks good.

ZucchiniZe

Cadet
Welcome to the forums :)

Suggest you swap the motherboard for the SSM model and use Sandisk Ultra Fit USB drives for booting.

Other than that, looks good.

What is the benefit from using the SSM model over the SSA?

Nick2253

Wizard
What is the benefit from using the SSM model over the SSA?
As I see it, wwo more SATA ports and another PCIe slot. You do lose an M.2 slot with the SSM. The SSM might be cheaper since it's only MATX, but I haven't priced either one.

tvsjr

Guru
I'd suggest swapping your two USB devices for a single small SSD... 40GB is more than sufficient.

You only have 4 drives listed for storage. For drives that large, RAIDZ1 is effectively dead... so with RAIDZ2, you lose 2 drives to redundancy. After overhead, your 40TB becomes 15.74TB. Make sure this is enough, or add drives.

You mention photo and video editing. Your proposed configuration will likely be a single vdev. You aren't going to get amazing performance from this. If your plan is to have multiple people working on 4K video from this server, you're going to need to add additional drives (smaller drives, but more spindles) to get your performance where you need it. What are your performance requirements?

ZucchiniZe

Cadet
I'd suggest swapping your two USB devices for a single small SSD... 40GB is more than sufficient.

Why a single SSD instead of the dual USB devices?

You only have 4 drives listed for storage. For drives that large, RAIDZ1 is effectively dead... so with RAIDZ2, you lose 2 drives to redundancy. After overhead, your 40TB becomes 15.74TB. Make sure this is enough, or add drives.

Would you suggest that I use 6 6TB drives instead since that would leave me with about 24TB of storage but cheaper than the 4 10TB drives? Also, why is it 15.74TB of usable storage and not an exact 16TB?

You mention photo and video editing. Your proposed configuration will likely be a single vdev. You aren't going to get amazing performance from this. If your plan is to have multiple people working on 4K video from this server, you're going to need to add additional drives (smaller drives, but more spindles) to get your performance where you need it. What are your performance requirements?

We don't have any 4K cameras so 4K footage would only ever be worked on if we were given it by a client. How would you suggest getting the best performance out of the the 8 bays that are on the case that I have chosen? Would it be best if I upgraded to another case that has more drive bays?

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
Why a single SSD instead of the dual USB devices?
A single SSD is an order of magnitude faster and perhaps two orders of magnitude more reliable. If you read the forums, you'll see lots of people whining about boot/system issues... and the vast majority are running USB sticks. While cheap, USB sticks weren't really designed for that sort of service. And, these days, you can pick up cheap SSDs on eBay for not much. I bought a handful of Intel 320 40GB SSDs for $20-25/ea. I use them for boot devices for FreeNAS and my vSphere hosts. I have yet to have one fail. My most worn one (in my FreeNAS system) shows 11% on the media wear-out value.

We don't have any 4K cameras so 4K footage would only ever be worked on if we were given it by a client. How would you suggest getting the best performance out of the the 8 bays that are on the case that I have chosen? Would it be best if I upgraded to another case that has more drive bays?
Let's address this question first. Unfortunately, there's no one right answer... it all depends on your workload and your tolerance for slowness. There are people storing 4K video on a single-vdev, 6-disk pool. There are people on here building huge arrays using multiple drive racks. I would suggest starting with a single-vdev, 6-disk pool, configured in RAIDZ2. Get it running, see how it works for you. From there, you can decide if you want to add additional vdevs or if you need to consider moving to striped mirrors. You may also want to consider maximizing your RAM... unfortunately, RAM isn't cheap right now.

If you're seriously considering having multiple people working on 1080p or 4K video simultaneously from this system, I would at least consider a system with more expansion capabilities - both from a speed and a capacity perspective. Video has a way of growing quickly. If you can handle a rack-mounted system (space, noise), consider a system like I have in my signature. Mine is a 4U, 36-bay system. Lots of expansion capabilities. Many good deals for such systems may be found on eBay (just be careful and do your research before buying... you can get bit by things like SAS1 backplanes that won't handle drives over 2.2TB, etc.)

Would you suggest that I use 6 6TB drives instead since that would leave me with about 24TB of storage but cheaper than the 4 10TB drives? Also, why is it 15.74TB of usable storage and not an exact 16TB?
You should read up in the Resources section. One of the members put together a very good calculator, which you can find here:
https://jsfiddle.net/Biduleohm/paq5u7z5/1/embedded/result/
The size is based on the space consumed by metadata, the recommended maximum 80% usage, etc. 6x6TB drives would give you 18.89TB (that's 17.18TiB) usable. Assuming you opt for a system that supports more drives, yes, I think you'd be better served with 6x6TB drives.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'll simply add that Chris Moore has previously identified multiple SuperMicro rackmount server chassis for sale that cost about the same coin as your server chassis + motherboard but which offered up to 24 bays of hot swap storage, redundant power supplies and so on. Or a 16-bay rack without the motherboard but with dual 700W redundant power supplies at the same cost as your case.

Given the reputation that SuperMicro enjoys re: bulletproof server chassis, I would seriously consider it, simply because someone else took the depreciation hit for you. The only downside is that the rack-mounted gear can be harder to find a spot for if you don't already have a rack... and they may be loud. But... so is the case you selected, based on the NewEgg reviews.

I presume you will give everyone a local SSD scratch disk to download their content to and the server is just there for longer-term storage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.