BUILD First Freenas Build - Any glaring problems/parts mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramy

Dabbler
What do the rest of you think about 3x4tb in raidz vs 6x2tb in raidz2 vs 4x3 (maybe 4tb if I can afford it) in raidz2

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
3x4tb in raidz vs 6x2tb in raidz2 vs 4x3 (maybe 4tb if I can afford it) in raidz2
With drives larger than 1TB, go with RAIDZ2 if possible. 6x2TB gives you more potential for future expansion, but 4x_TB is fine if you're confident about how much storage you will need, and replacing 4 drives later to grow the pool is less costly than replacing 6.
chances of having a read error during rebuild are high and if that happens pool is toast.
Not correct. A read error during rebuild will result in data loss, not necessarily (nor even likely) loss of the entire pool.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
With drives larger than 1TB, go with RAIDZ2 if possible. 6x2TB gives you more potential for future expansion, but 4x_TB is fine if you're confident about how much storage you will need, and replacing 4 drives later to grow the pool is less costly than replacing 6.

Not correct. A read error during rebuild will result in data loss, not necessarily (nor even likely) loss of the entire pool.

Even if you lose metadata?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you lose metadata, you might get away with it. Or you might have permanent damage that's waiting to come bite you in the ass.

Ramy

Dabbler
I'm going to try to go for raidz2 if I can afford it. Also, does anybody have a ups recommendation for under $200?

Robert Smith

Patron
Also, does anybody have a ups recommendation for under $200?

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD can often be had for under $200 on sale. I can sell you a gently used one for $150. I have five of them, but I only need four. One has been sitting in a box here for six months.

Last edited:
Deff would shoot for the x4 3Tb hdds as others have suggested, and a big thank you for selecting a UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.