BUILD First Freenas Build - Any glaring problems/parts mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramy

Dabbler
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($147.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F ($179.99)
Total: $1004.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-08 00:14 EDT-0400

I am aware that this list doesn't have a PSU, I have a corsair cx430 and a cx750m leftover from old builds, I was planning on using one of those, unless the community sees them as horrible threats to data security. I am also looking for recommendations on a UPS to use with the build, it doesn't have to be fantastic, just something that will keep the build running long enough to shut down safely.
In terms of what I will be doing, I am planning on using this as a backup server for my house (parents, brother, etc) as well as storing family photos that my parents no longer want to keep on their computers. (they will also be backed up to picasa or a similar service, but those services degrade picture quality, so having the original files would be ideal). I also might end up running the plex plugin to stream media, along with transmission or something similar for torrents.

Thank you for your help!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why just 3hdd? You need to be using raidz2 at a minimum if you plan on storing important photos.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Ramy

Dabbler
Why just 3hdd? You need to be using raidz2 at a minimum if you plan on storing important photos.
Would I be better off with 4 3tb WD reds, and less storage in RaidZ2 then? It would be about the same price, and money is definitely a factor in this.

Robert Smith

Patron
LOL.

Also. Funny how photo stores heavily compete on computer parts now. I guess photo gear is not selling well anymore.

It is also a shame that a photo store cannot put up a decent picture of the actual product they are selling.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Would I be better off with 4 3tb WD reds, and less storage in RaidZ2 then? It would be about the same price, and money is definitely a factor in this.
You don't want to use raidz so you should get 4 drives minimum and I suggest 6-8 drives in a single vdev if space is a concern.

Ramy

Dabbler
You don't want to use raidz so you should get 4 drives minimum and I suggest 6-8 drives in a single vdev if space is a concern.
Why don't I want to use raidz? Is only having 1 parity drive so unsafe?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes, chances of having a read error during rebuild are high and if that happens pool is toast.

Ramy

Dabbler
Yes, chances of having a read error during rebuild are high and if that happens pool is toast.
So would I also be better off with 6x2tb in raidz2, a bit more expensive, but could be upgraded to 6x3tb/4tb, and would tolerate 2 drive failures with roughly the same amount of space as the 3x4tb in raidz.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The PSU isn't bad but it's not very good too. You can use it but I recommend to change it for a better one when you can ;)

And I agree with @SweetAndLow

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
See if you can find CT2KIT102472BD160B. Keep in mind Crucial also sells directly via its online store.

So would I also be better off with 6x2tb in raidz2, a bit more expensive, but could be upgraded to 6x3tb/4tb, and would tolerate 2 drive failures with roughly the same amount of space as the 3x4tb in raidz.
Most importantly, you should use RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3. Which specific configuration is up to you.

Ramy

Dabbler
See if you can find CT2KIT102472BD160B. Keep in mind Crucial also sells directly via its online store.

Crucial also lists this set as guaranteed compatible, I believe the only difference between the two is voltage (BD is 1.35v, BA is 1.5v). I think I can find it on newegg/amazon as well though, here.

Robert Smith

Patron
Unless money is really tight, start with four larger drives in Z2. This will give you more room to grow vs six smaller drives.

Ramy

Dabbler
Unless money is really tight, start with four larger drives in Z2. This will give you more room to grow vs six smaller drives.
Can't you upgrade the size of a vdev by replacing all of the drives with larger ones? Also, how would you upgrade from 4 larger drives if you can't add/remove drives to and from a vdev?

Robert Smith

Patron
It depends on whether you want to optimize return on investment vs convenience.

If you are ok on taking a financial hit on reselling six used drives, then go for it.
Six drives also take more electricity.

But there are pros to six drives too. Such as in-place upgrade you mentioned.

Ramy

Dabbler
My though was do an in place upgrade, then put the drives into another vdev or another machine for added storage or security . The issue with only having 4 drives is that I would lose half the storage space, and when I wanted to upgrade I would have to invest in some other way of storing that 6 or 8tb of data, because I think I will use a crashplan backup as a last resort, but I don't have more large local storage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Crucial also lists this set as guaranteed compatible, I believe the only difference between the two is voltage (BD is 1.35v, BA is 1.5v). I think I can find it on newegg/amazon as well though, here.
BD's advantage is that it's more popular and tested by Supermicro for some X10 models (all but X10SLM-F/X10SLL-F and derivatives - X10SL7-F, X10SLL+-F/X10SLM+-F/etc. were tested).

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It's also less power hungry and should be less prone to problems (RAM chips for 1.5 V and 1.35 V RAM sticks are in fact the same and are binned after some testing: the better ones are used in the 1.35 V sticks and the others in the 1.5 V sticks).

Status
Not open for further replies.