First build, U-NAS NSC-810A chassis/case

cfcaballero

Dabbler
I saw this thread posted by Chris Moore and it made me reconsider using a 350W power supply. I am probably over compensating now by getting the 500W.

Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

The "rough guide" table in that post shows 450 Watts for a 7-8 drive setup with an Avoton class board, more if you are using heftier CPUs, so I don't think you are overcompensating in the least. Derating is a good thing for reliability and flexibility. It's why they were able to hang a second deck on the George Washington Bridge in NYC . . .

kanid99

Dabbler
1) The 66mm height Noctua's would be the tallest you could put in there and still leave some room between the cooler and the cover.
2) This fan comes with the case.

Resurrecting this old thread.. looking at the 810a myself, are you certain it can hold up to a 66mm height cooler?

Yorick

Wizard
Thank you for resurrecting it. I wish I had seen it when I built my FreeNAS. That's a sweet case. I like my Fractal 804, and, there's something to be said for hot-swap SATA. Neat!

Bozon

Contributor
Is there a way to put good build threads for different cards, and cases in the resource section? That might be really helpful, instead of keeping 1 definitive list maintained by 1 person good build threads are voted up and kept in the resource section.

cfcaballero

Dabbler
Resurrecting this old thread.. looking at the 810a myself, are you certain it can hold up to a 66mm height cooler?

As I recall, I was pretty conservative with that measurement, but of course I could only be 100% sure if I installed the unit myself. Best bet is to contact the vendor, who was very responsive when I purchased the case. FWIW, I used to be chief engineer of a custom robotics design firm, so I'm not a n00b when it comes to electromechanical things . . .

kanid99

Dabbler
As I recall, I was pretty conservative with that measurement, but of course I could only be 100% sure if I installed the unit myself. Best bet is to contact the vendor, who was very responsive when I purchased the case. FWIW, I used to be chief engineer of a custom robotics design firm, so I'm not a n00b when it comes to electromechanical things . . .
That seems about right withwhat I eyestimated based on photos I've seen (50-60mm).

I'll email unas.

kanid99

Dabbler

They're claiming 52mm.

They also mentioned the next case they release will be a 2.5 drive nas case.

Bozon

Contributor
They're claiming 52mm.

They also mentioned the next case they release will be a 2.5 drive nas case.

Existential question, what do you use a 2.5 drive NAS case for?

Here is a set of 8 2 TB drives for 3,200 USD ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7AB6XF3999 ). That seems like a lot of money to store data and still be limited by Ethernet speed. Almost 4x more expensive than spinning enterprise class 2 TB drives.

I guess for super speed options but then it would seem like a direct connect thunderbolt option might be a better choice for this. I looked at spinning 2.5 inch drives and they don't seem much better in their cost per TB, and then they aren't even fast.

kanid99

Dabbler
Those are ssds. Regular hard drives are much cheaper. I think if you are doing raid, the higher number of disks provides greater redundancy and speed but I don't subscribe to that - I'm a mirroring kind of guy.

kanid99

Dabbler
Those are ssds. Regular hard drives are much cheaper. I think if you are doing raid, the higher number of disks provides greater redundancy and speed but I don't subscribe to that - I'm a mirroring kind of guy.
I would elaborate - you can fit maybe 3-4x as many drives in the same space.

kanid99

Dabbler
So you may have this case , same size as the 810a but holds 24 2tb 2.5 hard drives like this

Seagate Enterprise ST2000NX0253 2 TB 2.5" Internal Hard

You get much more iops than from 8 3.5 drives and increased redundancy if you so choose.

Bozon

Contributor
So you may have this case , same size as the 810a but holds 24 2tb 2.5 hard drives like this

Seagate Enterprise ST2000NX0253 2 TB 2.5" Internal Hard

You get much more iops than from 8 3.5 drives and increased redundancy if you so choose.

More IOPS and redundancy are both great things.

However, what about the power concerns? Quick internet search looks like 2.5 drives use 50% less power than 3.5 drives. Thus, holding 3 times as many drives you would need 1.5 times as much power. If you need a 300W PSU for an 8x3.5 config you would need a 450W supply for a 24x2.5, which you can find for this form factor. That only leaves cooling as a concern. 1.5 times as much power would generate at least 1.5 times as much heat.

Oh, and don't forget wiring 24 drives, and finding a Mobo and card(s) combination that could drive all 24 drives. I think it might be more realistic to envision a 2.5 case having 12 to 16 drive bays.

All of that said, that does seem like a product some people would want and buy, so it does make sense for a company to build one.

PS.

I couldn't get your link to work, but I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Ente...2.5+internal+hard+drive&qid=1548096609&sr=8-3

$269 on Amazon which seems more expensive than a 3.5 2 TB drive.

pro lamer

Guru

Bozon

Contributor
It looks like an enterprise drive thus more expensive...

Sent from my phone
Right, I thought enterprise or NAS drives were what we compared to. I am able to find 3.5 2TB enterprise or NAS drives cheaper than the 2.5 2TB Enterprise or NAS drives. My point was that I don't think you save money on 2.5 in drives versus 3.5 in drives.

pro lamer

Guru
$269 on Amazon
looks like an enterprise drive
I've just clicked again and the price is down to $229... Still a lot. These Seagate enterprise drives seem overpriced to me. I used to consider choosing 5 or 6 2,5" 2TB consumer drives in raidz2 instead of 2 3,5" 6-8TB NAS drives in mirror and it was cheaper per usable storage (roughly) or same price but raidz2 rebuilding faster cos only "2TB" to be written during resilver instead of "6TB" when mirrored... So far I have 4x6TB so very maybe in future :)

Sent from my phone

Bozon

Contributor
I've just clicked again and the price is down to $229... Still a lot. These Seagate enterprise drives seem overpriced to me. I used to consider choosing 5 or 6 2,5" 2TB consumer drives in raidz2 instead of 2 3,5" 6-8TB NAS drives in mirror and it was cheaper per usable storage (roughly) or same price but raidz2 rebuilding faster cos only "2TB" to be written during resilver instead of "6TB" when mirrored... So far I have 4x6TB so very maybe in future :)

Sent from my phone
I just see many posts saying to use NAS or Enterprise drives. And to avoid consumer grade stuff. Of course, RAID originally stood for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives. Now it is more accurate to say RAED ( Redundant Array of Expensive Drives.) I understand what the original meaning of inexpensive was and why we now use relatively expensive drives now. It’s the rebuild time versus reliability.

Resurrecting this thread again on the question of PSU for the NSC-810A.

I'm wary of using a 350W PSU so I found this 500W one on newegg in the FlexATX form factor. Any reason to think this PSU wouldn't work with the NSC-810A?