Canadian FreeNAS mini vs something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

technopop

Dabbler
Looking on Amazon.com and .ca.

The diskless system from .com is $100USD ($1300 CAD) and they won't ship to Canada. From the .ca website, it's $2500 CAD.

I want to put this into a small office with about 15 staff. I like the form factor of the mini but it's not worth the over $1k difference. Should I just build something from parts like Supermicro and a generic case instead or am I missing something in the purchasing process?

Nick2253

Wizard
Where are you in Canada? If you're close to the border, you can get coordinate with a UPS/Fedex store to receive the package in the US, and then manually carry it over the border. I don't know all the exact details, but I do have some Canadian friends who do this regularly.

Personally, I think that a DIY build will get you more capability for less money, but for an office environment, I am partial to prebuilt machines, if only for the support and warranty if/when something goes wrong.

technopop

Dabbler
Toronto so an hour and a half from Buffalo.

The DIY build is what's bubbling in the back of my mind. I've done it with myself and other offices with Supermicro boards, chassis and old IBM servers with some modifications.

I was hoping to give back and pay into karma to the project by buying something official.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried https://www.ixsystems.com/freenas-mini/ they appear to ship directly and you can custom configure it. I've done the drive to the border to pick up items that have large price differences before a little time consuming but was worth the trip.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Status
Not open for further replies.