New NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich_

Cadet
I'd appreciate anyone looking over this list, it's been at least 15 years since I've assembled a machine.

Intel Pentium G4600
Supermicro X11SSH-F
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold
Fractal Design Node 804 (as much as I like the look of the U-NAS NSC-810A but fear it might be stressful trying to squeeze everything in without losing fingers, as well as more expensive)
Crucial DDR-2400 ECC 16GB sticks (1x initially)
WD Red drives 6/8TB (4x initially - at least that's what I'm thinking)
I can probably repurpose an SSD for the OS.

Initially I won't need 8 drives, but that's the direction this is heading, 4 would start me off fine for maybe 6-12 months but I don't want to be building a new system then. I gather adding drives might cause me some grief when I get there? Presumably at the very least I can backup everything to elsewhere and then wipe everything. RAM would be increased then too.

The Xeons look a lot more expensive, am I missing something the G4600 doesn't have support for? The purpose is just for backups, no encryption required, no containers or VMs, not even a media server.

Anything I'm missing? CPU heatsink/fan, case fans, cables, incompatibilities? RAID recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Only thing I would recommend is if you know you're going to need more storage in 6 to 8 months, spend the extra now and get all your drives to start with.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Initially I won't need 8 drives, but that's the direction this is heading, 4 would start me off fine for maybe 6-12 months but I don't want to be building a new system then. I gather adding drives might cause me some grief when I get there? Presumably at the very least I can backup everything to elsewhere and then wipe everything. RAM would be increased then too.
I agree with @Jailer that if you know you are going to need to expand the array, you should begin with the drives you will need to have from the beginning. Reconfiguring the pool a year later is a massive pain.

You might also want to look at this resource for hard drive pricing. I have had good results with the Seagate drives and they are often less expensive than the WD drives:

Disk Price/Performance Analysis Buying Information 07-Mar-2018
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-performance-analysis-buying-information.62/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.