Mini-ITX Build [In Progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnp4

Dabbler
Decided to replace my aging FreeNAS server.

Motherboard: Supermicro A2SDI-H-TF (8 core Atom, 25W TDP, dual 10GBase-T)
Hard Drives: 6x WD Red 4TB (RAIDZ2)
Chassis: U-NAS NSC-810 (8-bay hot-swap; Appliance look-alike.)
RAM: 2x Crucial CT16G4WFD824A (2 x 16GB DDR4 ECC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic SS-350M1U (80 Plus Gold, semi-passive)
Boot: SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit

Total budget was around 2,000 USD.

I'm debating expanding to an 8 drive array, though it might require some trickery to shuffle my data around. Is RAIDZ2 considered reasonable for 8 drives? (I know it's not the ideal number for performance and data efficiency; I'm primarily concerned about safety.)

I have all the parts except for the RAM, which is supposed to come Saturday. I gutted my normal desktop temporarily and have the 6 drives spinning in it currently. Loaded FreeNAS 11.1 onto the thumb drive and got the pool configured. rsync'd 4TB of data over, which took about 3 days due to the fact the current server is seriously underpowered and at least one of the drives is failing. I spent quite a while futzing around trying to get it to go faster. The fastest I could get it to go was by running an rsync server on the old server. Even with flags to weaken the crypto, the overhead of ssh was taxing it. Once everything was copied over, did a scrub to try and stress the drives. All 6 drives are running great.

I was hoping I could just pull the drives and thumb drive out and put it into the new server, but I think that's going to fail due to a requirement that I use UEFI boot. Might try to export my settings and due a fresh install.

If I stick with 6 drives, I have an extra I could use as a hot spare. Might have an m2 drive I can use for l2arc as well.

Stux

MVP
Nothing wrong with 8-way RaidZ2

Of course, you can’t directly convert from 6-way to 8-way RaidZ2

johnp4

Dabbler
Of course.

I have another server that I can just barely squeeze the data on to. So I'd transfer the data there, then add the two drives and rebuild the pool, then transfer the data back.

johnp4

Dabbler
Update Jan. 22

Got everything in the chassis with a few caveats.

The 24-pin (and maybe the 4/8-pin) connector from the power supply to the motherboard isn't quite long enough. I guess the 24-pin connector is on an unusual spot on the motherboard. Going to order an extension cable, but for now, the power supply is just sort of floating in the case so that everything can reach.

The case comes with regular SATA cables pre-installed, so if you're planning on using mini-SAS fanout cables, you'll need to replace them. It's practically impossible to do this unless you remove the entire back of the case (including the fan assembly). It's not hard. Requires removing about 8 screws. However, once it's removed, there's a part of the case that becomes pretty fragile. Kind of hard to explain. Probably should have taken a picture. Once the back is on again, it's sturdy as a rock.

The pre-installed fans are quiet, but they're not completely silent. Maybe if you're using 7200RPM drives they wouldn't be noticeable, but I'm using 5400RPM drives and they're slightly annoying.

The integrated heatsink on the motherboard doesn't come with a fan. I did a scrub and it loaded the CPU to about 35% for 2 1/2 hours. Peak CPU temperature was about 65 C. Might try to figure out how to mount a fan. It's not obvious how to do it from just looking at it.

I did have to do a re-install. Had to make sure to write the FreeNAS iso with rufus in DD mode, and everything just worked.

Saved my config through the web interface. After I moved all the drives over, I loaded the config. After it rebooted, everything was exactly back to the way it was before including plugins and jails. Props to the FreeNAS team for making that so smooth!

John

toyebox

Explorer
Update Jan. 22

Got everything in the chassis with a few caveats.

The 24-pin (and maybe the 4/8-pin) connector from the power supply to the motherboard isn't quite long enough. I guess the 24-pin connector is on an unusual spot on the motherboard. Going to order an extension cable, but for now, the power supply is just sort of floating in the case so that everything can reach.

The case comes with regular SATA cables pre-installed, so if you're planning on using mini-SAS fanout cables, you'll need to replace them. It's practically impossible to do this unless you remove the entire back of the case (including the fan assembly). It's not hard. Requires removing about 8 screws. However, once it's removed, there's a part of the case that becomes pretty fragile. Kind of hard to explain. Probably should have taken a picture. Once the back is on again, it's sturdy as a rock.

The pre-installed fans are quiet, but they're not completely silent. Maybe if you're using 7200RPM drives they wouldn't be noticeable, but I'm using 5400RPM drives and they're slightly annoying.

The integrated heatsink on the motherboard doesn't come with a fan. I did a scrub and it loaded the CPU to about 35% for 2 1/2 hours. Peak CPU temperature was about 65 C. Might try to figure out how to mount a fan. It's not obvious how to do it from just looking at it.

I did have to do a re-install. Had to make sure to write the FreeNAS iso with rufus in DD mode, and everything just worked.

Saved my config through the web interface. After I moved all the drives over, I loaded the config. After it rebooted, everything was exactly back to the way it was before including plugins and jails. Props to the FreeNAS team for making that so smooth!

John

Hey there! I have built quite a few systems around that case. A couple of things that may help in the future:

If you ever plan on using an HBA , its mounted on the top there with the extension cable (if I remember correctly). An m1015 heat sink does not get enough airflow in that case there--i used a small fan for it.

I replaced the installed fans with noctua fans. Much quieter with better airflow.

I too had a passive heatsink on my mobo---I ended up putting a noctua fan on it.

I'm sure you know, but after saying the PSU is hanging, I feel it's necessary to mention that with this case (and many other mini-itx cases) it's crucial to have the cover on them and fully assembled in order to maximize the airflow over the drives and Mobo.

Good luck with your build!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

johnp4

Dabbler
Actually, I got the U-NAS NSC-810. They made it slightly taller and now you don't need a PCIe extender to put in an HBA: It plugs directly into the mobo. Good tip on an extra fan.

(EDIT: Won't need a HBA with this motherboard because it supports 12 SATA drives, way more than the case can fit.)

Which noctuas did you use? I just ordered two NF-S12A PWM. I love Noctuas a little too much.

How did you mount the fan to the heatsink on the motherboard? Mine doesn't seem to have any screw holes or places for clips. Thinking of 3d printing a bracket or something.

Good advice on keeping the case on. It's currently in my unheated office, and it's winter here, so it's usually in the 50s F, so I'm not too worried at the moment. Definitely will get the case on once I can.

johnp4

Dabbler
Update Jan 26

I got the 24-pin extender in the mail and installed the power supply correctly. I also replaced the stock fans with the NF-S12As.

The case is cramped! Just routing cables can be a pain.

When I started it up, the fans spun up/down a few times, but once it was booted, they stayed at a low RPM.

I looked through the BIOS and didn't see any way to control the fans. Is that something done through IPMI?

diskdiddler

Wizard
John any update on the performance and general use of your machine? What have you ended up doing with it and are you happy with it? I'm trying to weigh up my choices of board and this fits my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.