SOLVED New Build: Mini-ITX Motherboard Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All,

I'm looking at building up my first FreeNAS box (been playing with a VM for a while now), and have come across a case I like, but it limits me to a Mini-ITX motherboard.

Usage: The NAS is to replace my old ReadyNAS 314, and is to be used as a home-network storage for the family, storing media files (photos, videos, and .MKV Rips), as well as to operate as a Plex server. More options/uses may come online as I get used to the box and my confidence increases :). I'm looking for a box which can sit in the corner, be future-proofed (well as future-proofed as you can be), and run happily for a few years!

Case: U-NAS NSC-800 (Mini-ITX, 8 hot-swap bays)
PSU: Seasonic SS-350M1U 80Plus Gold 350W 1U Power Supply with a 1U PSU Adapter Plate for 80 to 100mm Width PSUs
Data Drives: 8* WD Reds (either 6TB or 8TB)

Mini-ITX Motherboard Options: ASRock Rack: C236 WSI (Xeon, 8 SATA, 32GB RAM) or the ASRock Rack: C2750D41 (Avoton, 12 SATA, 64GB RAM)
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 or v6 or the built-in Intel Octa Core Avoton C2750
RAM: 32GB ECC or 64GB ECC (I plan to max RAM based on motherboard, using manufacturers from the QVL list)
Boot Device: USB Flash Drive or SSD Hard Disk (as spare SATA ports)

My questions are:
  1. Is the PSU powerful enough for either option?
  2. The Avoton processor is slower than the Xeon, but supports more SATA and RAM. Which of the two motherboards would you recommend, and/or are there other options?
  3. If I use a USB Flash Drive as a boot device, any recommendations on brand?
  4. What RAIDZ should i use with the 8 WD Reds?
  5. Is there anything else you can recommend/guide me on?

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

Yours
Jonathan (UK based)

Last edited:

gpsguy

Have you done a Google search on the case and read the various reviews.

I know I've read some negative things about it in the past.

Dice

Wizard
1. No. Way below spec. Look for a thread on sizing power supplies. It is a sticky or a resource.
2. I would aim for 64GB at least for a newly built system. 32GB was fine 2 years ago. (get atom)
3. Get two, they will wear out. Or get an SSD an enjoy vastly faster updates and increased reliability (you've the port on the atom route)
4.Raidz2, one vdev.
5. Check my signature, do the recommended readings. You will benefit.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
I started out with 32GB of ram on a Supermicro X11SSM-F.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All, thanks for the replies and resource links. It was helpful.

I won't be going for that case now, found a different one which I prefer (one which doesn't limit me to a Mini-ITX board), and have made some radical adjustments to the spec. I will start a new thread once I've finished the spec for advice on that.

Jonathan

Stux

MVP
The other Mini-ITX option is a XeonD board.

Status
Not open for further replies.