First Build - Small Home NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasUbercow

Cadet
I'd like to assemble a NAS for our home network that will serve the following purposes:
  • Shared file storage for important family documents (tax forms, photos, etc.)
  • Backup target for two laptops
  • (Possibly) a media server such as Plex
Right now, I'm using a single external 500GB backup drive as a backup target; we currently don't have any system providing file shares or serving media. I estimate that our current storage needs are well under 1TB, although this is growing as we take family photos and videos. I'm considering the following hardware with (of course) FreeNAS as the OS. I await your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

MB: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Pentium G4500
RAM: Crucial 16GB ECC DIMM (x1, I believe this is the Crucial version of the Micron RAM from Supermicro's Tested Memory List)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Seasonic SSR-450RM
UPS: CyberPower CP685AVR
OS drive(s): SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB (x2, mirrored)
Data drives: WD Red 3TB (either x4 in two mirrored pairs or x6 in RAIDZ2)

Some thoughts / questions:
  • I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible while building a system that will provide at least 4TB of storage space and be expandable in the future (both in terms of storage space and processing power). For example, I know the motherboard and case aren't the cheapest available, but they will allow upgrading system components without requiring a complete system rebuild.
  • If I set up a media server, we will be transcoding at most one stream at a time.
  • The motherboard and case support up to 8 drives. Should I go for a 550W power supply instead of the 450W?
  • I also looked at the Fractal Design Arc Midi and Node 804 cases. Form factor isn't a concern. Is there any reason to go with either of these cases over the Define R5?

GBillR

Contributor
I'd like to assemble a NAS for our home network that will serve the following purposes:
  • Shared file storage for important family documents (tax forms, photos, etc.)
  • Backup target for two laptops
  • (Possibly) a media server such as Plex
Right now, I'm using a single external 500GB backup drive as a backup target; we currently don't have any system providing file shares or serving media. I estimate that our current storage needs are well under 1TB, although this is growing as we take family photos and videos. I'm considering the following hardware with (of course) FreeNAS as the OS. I await your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

MB: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Pentium G4500
RAM: Crucial 16GB ECC DIMM (x1, I believe this is the Crucial version of the Micron RAM from Supermicro's Tested Memory List)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Seasonic SSR-450RM
UPS: CyberPower CP685AVR
OS drive(s): SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB (x2, mirrored)
Data drives: WD Red 3TB (either x4 in two mirrored pairs or x6 in RAIDZ2)

Some thoughts / questions:
  • I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible while building a system that will provide at least 4TB of storage space and be expandable in the future (both in terms of storage space and processing power). For example, I know the motherboard and case aren't the cheapest available, but they will allow upgrading system components without requiring a complete system rebuild.
  • If I set up a media server, we will be transcoding at most one stream at a time.
  • The motherboard and case support up to 8 drives. Should I go for a 550W power supply instead of the 450W?
  • I also looked at the Fractal Design Arc Midi and Node 804 cases. Form factor isn't a concern. Is there any reason to go with either of these cases over the Define R5?
Hello and welcome.

Did you get the RAM from crucial's website? Looks like that RAM is PC4-17000, which isn't listed as supported on Supermicro's website... The link for Crucial's upgrade list for this MB: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Supermicro/x11ssm-f

EDIT: So I was a little quick on the trigger... PC4-17000 is DDR4-2133... still would verify it on Crucial's website because the CT number doesn't seem to match what is listed there.

Keep in mind that Power supply only has 6 SATA power connectors... it's a minor inconvenience if you want to use 8 drives. As for moving to the 550W, I would recommend it. I know you are looking to keep the cost down, but in my experience, a good sized supply with breathing room will save you a lot of headaches down the road when upgrading comes along. Add a few drives, a beefier CPU, and you might find 450W was a mistake.

I went with the R5. I've done several builds with it, and love the quality. I like the airflow across the drives, and the drive trays are redesigned with the R5 to allow improved airflow. I almost went with the Node 804, but was worried about drive temps if I filled all 8 slots. There just doesn't look like a lot of airflow across the disks in the 804. And I saw a few you-tube video reviews where the power and SATA cables were a disaster if you filled the box up. But, I have no first-hand experience with the 804 or the midi.

Good luck!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forums Mr. Top Cow!

You're build looks pretty good. I agree with @GBillR that you'll be happier with the beefier (ahem) power supply. The Pentium G4500 you've selected boasts ~4000 passmarks, which ought to be enough horsepower to handle modest transcoding. I myself am a fan of the Fractal Design cases, and I think you'll be pleased with the Define R5.

Good luck!

DasUbercow

Cadet
Did you get the RAM from crucial's website? Looks like that RAM is PC4-17000, which isn't listed as supported on Supermicro's website... The link for Crucial's upgrade list for this MB: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Supermicro/x11ssm-f

EDIT: So I was a little quick on the trigger... PC4-17000 is DDR4-2133... still would verify it on Crucial's website because the CT number doesn't seem to match what is listed there.

I'm hoping the linked RAM is the right part. I don't know the intricacies of Micron/Crucial part numbers, but the "Micron" part number on the Amazon item (MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G1A1) is exactly the same as the part number on Supermicro's tested memory list for the X11SSM-F.

Keep in mind that Power supply only has 6 SATA power connectors... it's a minor inconvenience if you want to use 8 drives. As for moving to the 550W, I would recommend it. I know you are looking to keep the cost down, but in my experience, a good sized supply with breathing room will save you a lot of headaches down the road when upgrading comes along. Add a few drives, a beefier CPU, and you might find 450W was a mistake.

Based on your recommendation and Spearfoot's, I think I'll look for a 550W PSU. Unfortunately, the 550W Seasonic only has 6 SATA power connectors. Is there a good 550W PSU with 8 or more?

I went with the R5. I've done several builds with it, and love the quality. I like the airflow across the drives, and the drive trays are redesigned with the R5 to allow improved airflow. I almost went with the Node 804, but was worried about drive temps if I filled all 8 slots. There just doesn't look like a lot of airflow across the disks in the 804. And I saw a few you-tube video reviews where the power and SATA cables were a disaster if you filled the box up. But, I have no first-hand experience with the 804 or the midi.

Sold! R5 it is. I've been reading these forums for a while and I continue to be impressed with the quality of advice one can get. Many thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm hoping the linked RAM is the right part. I don't know the intricacies of Micron/Crucial part numbers, but the "Micron" part number on the Amazon item (MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G1A1) is exactly the same as the part number on Supermicro's tested memory list for the X11SSM-F.
Crucial is Micron's retail portal and if they recommend a memory part for your system it's likely to work just fine, plus they guarantee that it will. :D
Based on your recommendation and Spearfoot's, I think I'll look for a 550W PSU. Unfortunately, the 550W Seasonic only has 6 SATA power connectors. Is there a good 550W PSU with 8 or more?
I'm partial to EVGA power supplies. Their SuperNOVA 550 G2 has 9 SATA power connectors.

GBillR

Contributor
So it looks to be right... it is weird that the CT number listed in the product details on the Amazon page do not align with those on Crucial's page... yet when I use the Amazon CT number to pull up product details on Crucial's website, and then use that page's compatibility tool, it does say it is compatible... and then also changes the CT number to another CT number (one that matched the 3 16GB UDIMMs listed when I simply went to the Crucial website and plugged in the X11 board).... definitely weird. Given that the price doesn't change, nor do the specs, I would be comfortable. And it's listed on the supermicro QVL as well.

That said... did you notice the lead time from Amazon? Might be better going direct to Crucial unless you can find it somewhere else.

As for the Power Supply, you could just use some SATA power splitters like these: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...484515072&sr=1-3&keywords=sata+power+splitter
Not ideal, but definitely a workable solution.

GBillR

Contributor
Regarding the PSU. I got recommended the Cooler Master V Series V550 as this gold one has an efficiency of almost a platinum. (review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V550/)

For that money, I would spring the extra $10 or $15 and get this one (I did): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VV56U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - It's 660W
2 - It's Platinum rated
3 - It has an optional "hybrid" fan mode that will keep the fan off under light load (mine never runs)
4 - It has a 7-year warranty
5 - It's Seasonic
6 - It has 10 SATA power connectors

OR, save $30 and go with @Spearfoot and get the SuperNOVA 550 G2... it looks like a decent alternative.

I'm partial to the Seasonic, but I do own an EVGA unit that runs in my pfSense box.... so far so good after about a year.

DasUbercow

Cadet
Crucial is Micron's retail portal and if they recommend a memory part for your system it's likely to work just fine, plus they guarantee that it will. :D
I'm partial to EVGA power supplies. Their SuperNOVA 550 G2 has 9 SATA power connectors.
This EVGA PSU looks like a good alternative to the Seasonic. Based on your comment and some others, I think I'll swap the Seasonic out of my parts list and replace it with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.