Firmware version P21?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, Beta 1 was just released and Beta 2 is preliminarily scheduled for 2016-11-15.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Since I have been running FreeNAS, the updates are usually very frequent when there is nothing wrong.
"I don't see anything wrong" isn't the same as "there is nothing wrong." Most of what the updates do is fix bugs.

The first time there has been a problem and no updates for over 6 weeks
This really isn't a problem, as has been stated repeatedly. There's an alert that doesn't need to be there. You can ignore it. Yes, it should be fixed, and I think it will be in the next update, but there's simply no harm to it.

Has anyone that has updated experienced any issues or seen any issues reported since this last update?

No problems here using three different LSI HBAs (LSI SAS9207-4i4e, LSI SAS9211-8i, LSI2008-IT) in the same server on 9.10.1 since August 13.

Cheers,
Matt

I haven't silenced the alarm as I don't see the point really.
If the alarm is already triggered, how do you know if a new problem comes up? I silenced my alarm, so the alarm would indicate any new problems.

RichTJ99

Patron
So to confirm - i have a Supermicro X10SL7-F with the LSI Sas 2308 card built in. I am running firmware 20 in IT mode. Should I be updating or just ignore the alert?

Stux

MVP
So to confirm - i have a Supermicro X10SL7-F with the LSI Sas 2308 card built in. I am running firmware 20 in IT mode. Should I be updating or just ignore the alert?

Ignore the alert

From a member of the FreeNAS Core Team:
It's acceptable to silence the alert for now, the next FreeNAS update won't consider the p20/v21 pair alert worthy.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Everything seems hunky dory now with the latest update :)

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
But, there are many reports of problems when trying to update to FreeNAS-9.10.1-U1. I wouldn't install the update just to get rid of the nuisance firmware version alert. FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 is supposed to fix the major issues found in this one.
A bit l8 for me. I done the update yesterday and everything seemed to go OK.
I'm now running U1 without any alarms or problems that I know of.

Miltos_K

Cadet
hello,

similar question, I have setup FreeNAS ver. 9.10.1.U1 on a microserver gen8 with an LSI 9211-4i (LSI2004),
flashed to IT mode with firmware P17, should I proceed to firmware P20 for some reason?
everything works as it should be,only thing I had to silence the P21 warning.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
flashed to IT mode with firmware P17, should I proceed to firmware P20 for some reason?
Yes, as plastered all over the forum.

ajschot

Patron
I know it is old but... can somebody give me link to the download for 9211-8i? It is from the broadcom site, the 9211-8i is not there in the list....

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you tried searching for 9211 in Broadcom's site?

ajschot

Patron
yes, get on the same page with all HBA's but no 9211 any more and all links i find on the net are saying the page is moved...

Visseroth

Guru

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

r.t.

Cadet
Hopefully this isn't too old a thread to bump, but I've got a question which seems related to the topic, and I'm reluctant to start yet another LSI firmware thread.

For context, I'm running Freenas 11.0. I recently got an LSI 9211-8i card, and today I noticed that it apparently has v19 firmware. This surprised me because I expected to have seen a warning if my firmware version was not the recommended one. I was actually under the impression that the recommended version was v15, which is probably because I had seen older posts. I did some digging and searching and as far as I can tell v20 is the actual current recommended one (this thread being one source). However, I still hadn't seen any warning. So I did some more digging and found that the warning was removed quite recently. Unfortunately, the ticket #24119 that the commit references appears to be deleted or restricted. I did find one mention of it in these release notes, but that doesn't really add much detail.

So my question is: why was the warning removed, and what does it mean for people (like me) who are wondering (or don't even know they should be wondering) whether they have the right firmware for the right version of Freenas? Is it still a good idea to update the firmware, or does it not matter?

As a side note, I'm also curious as to why the ticket was deleted or hidden. If I could have read it there may have been some justification for the removal that I could understand, which would have made it unnecessary to post about here.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm also curious as to why the ticket was deleted or hidden.
If it was reported through the FreeNAS web GUI (using the Support button), it could have a debug file attached. In that case, it would typically be marked private.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hopefully this isn't too old a thread to bump, but I've got a question which seems related to the topic, and I'm reluctant to start yet another LSI firmware thread.

For context, I'm running Freenas 11.0. I recently got an LSI 9211-8i card, and today I noticed that it apparently has v19 firmware. This surprised me because I expected to have seen a warning if my firmware version was not the recommended one. I was actually under the impression that the recommended version was v15, which is probably because I had seen older posts. I did some digging and searching and as far as I can tell v20 is the actual current recommended one (this thread being one source). However, I still hadn't seen any warning. So I did some more digging and found that the warning was removed quite recently. Unfortunately, the ticket #24119 that the commit references appears to be deleted or restricted. I did find one mention of it in these release notes, but that doesn't really add much detail.

So my question is: why was the warning removed, and what does it mean for people (like me) who are wondering (or don't even know they should be wondering) whether they have the right firmware for the right version of Freenas? Is it still a good idea to update the firmware, or does it not matter?

As a side note, I'm also curious as to why the ticket was deleted or hidden. If I could have read it there may have been some justification for the removal that I could understand, which would have made it unnecessary to post about here.
You should still load the latest firmware on the card, but because there is a versioning difference now, they stopped warning to the discrepancy several versions of FreeNAS ago. If I recall, it was around 9.10.1 but don't quote me on that. There was a thread on the forum about it at the time and I am sure you could find it with a little searching that I am not going to take the time to do.
The gist of it is the driver on the base OS (BSD) is at 21 while the firmware on the card is at 20 and it is not a problem. It might be a problem that FreeNAS is not checking for older firmware, and that will be up to the devs to decide. I imagine that they just turned the alert off entirely so it is not issuing any version mismatch warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.