Firmware version P21?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George777

Dabbler
To be fair, the guy was lectured for running nightlies, rather than advised to submit a bug report.
If everyone gets lectured for running nightlies, and everyone assumes that it'll be fixed, then it won't be.
Agreed. I think the individual on the core team who replied should have also said "if you think you found a bug, please file a bug report."

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Remember that FreeNAS is designed to run on whatever hardware you decide to use. The iXsystems team cannot possibly test all possible hardware configurations, so they cannot be expected to find all possible problems. That's what the bug ticket system is for. You think you found something nobody else has run into, file a bug ticket on it.
Agreed.

As for the discussion about him using nightlies, I won't even dive into that one. Everyone here says the same thing with regards to nightlies:

1. If you aren't an expert on FreeNAS, you shouldn't be running nightlies.
2. If you aren't going to file bug reports on stuff in nightlies that you know is wrong, you shouldn't be running nightlies.
3. If any of this is confusing, you shouldn't be running nightlies.
This is great advice. Maybe one "lesson learned" would be to create a nightlies forum, and post the above guidance as a sticky. I still believe we all dodged a bullet, and the individual who was lectured appears to have fit all the above criteria.

George777

Dabbler
OK I read thru this thread and with all the blah blah blah and speculation, its difficult at best for a end user (not a dev) to figure if this is serious or not.

Can someone (a dev or better a Freenas maintainer) clearly state that this alert can be ignored and that it wont cause data harm???
We sort of got that from Josh:
It's acceptable to silence the alert for now, the next FreeNAS update won't consider the p20/v21 pair alert worthy.

However, he also said the following. So for me until we hear back that this firmware/driver combo was run through full regression testing for (presumably with all of the products they sell/sold), I wouldn't consider it resolved.
It's possible the current situation of v21 driver and p20 firmware has not gone through their internal regression test suite. I'm working on verifying that at this point.

freenas-supero

Contributor
So for me until we hear back that this firmware/driver combo was run through full regression testing for (presumably with all of the products they sell/sold), I wouldn't consider it resolved.

I dont consider this resolved at all. Actually, that prompted me to figure a way to be less dependent on freenas for my data. I reckon that its probably benign but having this kind of core level mismatch is worrisome at best.. Especially that firmware/driver mismatch is well known to introduce data corruption, at least this is what I gathered from looking around on the forums and the web in general.

When will we hear back from the Freenas core devs about this issue? Possibly reverting the driver to V20?

It's possible the current situation of v21 driver and p20 firmware has not gone through their internal regression test suite."

Please tell me avago/whatever-owns-them dont make medical equipment!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Though I don't agree with the more pessimistic feelings expressed here, I do wish LSI/Avago/Broadcom were at least consistent:
  • mpr was offset by one version from the firmware (Was it P9 firmware goes with P10 driver and so forth? I'm lost. If so, at least this would make things consistent between mps and mpr) for no good reason, despite mps traditionally having both at the same version.
  • The SAS2 P20 firmware has seen a crapton of releases, but they've kept the P20 designation because it's supposed to stay compatible with the P20 mps driver.
  • Now mps P20 gets fixes, which should maintain compatibility with the P20 firmware, but mps gets bumped to P21?

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Can someone explain how to silence the alert please?
Also is there going to be an update/patch to fix please?

danb35

Hall of Famer

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Still no official response on this? We are in September now....???

Visseroth

Guru
Here's a question as I've been avoiding updating....

Has anyone that has updated experienced any issues or seen any issues reported since this last update?

SFoskett

Dabbler
Has anyone that has updated experienced any issues or seen any issues reported since this last update?

Apart from Grub being corrupted (non-bootable system), a non-functional console, and this error message, 9.10.1 has been ok. I've only noticed one crash in the last two weeks, and that's less than in 9.10.

Z300M

Guru

None here.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Mlovelace

Guru

Nope, and if you think back to the threads that were posted when FN was updated to warn of the driver/firmware mismatch; there were a lot of systems in the wrong firmware version and their data wasn't being shredded.

freenas-supero

Contributor

No problems so far.... But this situation has made me move forward with setting up a full pool backup strategy which I meant to do for so long. So in the end, this is positive for me ;)

Haathi

Explorer

No problems so far, and I've been moving around a couple TB of data and added a new VDev to my pool.

bed

Dabbler

I have been running this update since it came out and silenced the alarms based on the dev's suggestion that this error was ok to ignore and have not had a single issue. I have 30 drives on 2 9211's .

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
I haven't had any issues as far as I am aware but I am slightly surprised that there still hasn't been an update to fix this error.

I haven't silenced the alarm as I don't see the point really.

Since I have been running FreeNAS, the updates are usually very frequent when there is nothing wrong. The first time there has been a problem and no updates for over 6 weeks :(

Hopefully this will be sorted very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.