Boot Disk
Crucial MX300 2,5" 275GB
Case
Fractal Design Node 304
Memory (2x 16GB)
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C
Power
Corsair RM650x Black

I want to use it mainly for storage at home for 1080p streaming (first to LAN, then maybe to WAN for family trough VPN) if that would be a mountain to high just FTP for the files would do, network speed should be fine, but LAN is most important) everything is 1000 full duplex in the lan (outside of it im not sure, so the streaming part outside of the lan part isnt that important for now, i might be wanting too much from home and maybe need to invest in a host in a serverpark that actually has the speed)

Designated diskspace for mentioned family users so they can store their files on my server and not on a random cloud server. Stored files should be able to be encrypted if they wish. Im going full on own service where i can after all the privacy bs lately)

THis are be my starting wishes for the hardware, my biggest scare is that some oversight on parts not working together, Or that I picked a part that is not optimal for the stream/encoding... all that comes with streaming. It,s my first project on this scale with hardware.

concurrent users would never be over 3 or 4 but i dont expect more then 2 actually.

would this be enough for current wishes?
is it actually working together or did i pick a wrong standard for any of the parts?
If not, please point me to a piece of hardware that would fit better with my wishes or other pieces of hardware.
noise wont be a problem.

Trying to stay under the 1500euro mark for now, but if there is a good reason to go over it to accomplish my goals ill just sell some old hardware that im hoarding for that project that never comes (im sure im not the only one)

Thanks for reading.

Inxsible

Guru
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1225 v6 Boxed
Xeon xxx5 have a graphics chip which is pointless for FreeNAS. Find one with xxx0. Try 1230 or 1240
Board
Supermicro X11SSL-CF
Your selected board does not fit in your selected case. This is a m-ATX board and your case is mini-ITX. Also if you are going to stick with the mini-itx, you don't need a -CF -- since there will be enough SATA ports onboard to handle the disks. No need to spend for a SAS controller. Well you need to either change the board or the case.
Internal Disks
2x WD Red Pro Nas Drive (256MB cache), 6TB
Why Pro? 7200RPM disks tend to run much hotter, especially in a small case like the Node 304 that you have selected.
Boot Disk
Crucial MX300 2,5" 275GB
Too big. Try to find a 120GB for cheaper
Case
Fractal Design Node 304
Good case overall, but restricts you to mini-ITX. Think about going m-ATX at least. This will give you a lot of choices in terms of boards as well. Mini-ITX server boards are few and far between and they cost a lot of money. Plus cabling in the Node 304 is very difficult. I should know.
Memory (2x 16GB)
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C
Is that ECC. I can't be bothered to search for it. Since you are buying all your components and not using what you already have, I would suggest going ECC RAM.
Power
Corsair RM650x Black
I feel it's too much power for around 6 drives. I use a CS450M. See if you have an option for a 450-500W

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
1080p streaming
Are you sure it's only streaming? A Pentium will suffice for 2-3 streams easily. I do it all the time.

If it's transcoding, then you will need more grunt in the CPU -- for which a Xeon would be recommended.

go-djuh

Cadet
Thank you both for the quick reply. And also very useful.

I must have read some components wrong since I was sure I looked at the size of the board and case. Anyway I'm glad this forum is here for starters like me. I will get back to the drawing board and post an update after making a list with your advice.

Thanks for your time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

go-djuh

Cadet
After reading (and re-reading) your replies/advice and the pdf stickied in this forum i came up with the following configuration of hardware

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v6 Boxed

Board
Supermicro X11SSL-CF

Internal Disks (2x) (my plan is raid0)
WD Red WD80EFZX, 8TB

Boot Disk (lower than 128GB isnt made anymore i think)
Plextor S3C 128GB

Case
Fractal Design Node 804

Memory (2x) (with ecc)
Kingston ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/16

Power
Corsair RM550x Black

I think this checks all the boxes of your advice and would make a working system. I do have a question about lowering the Power for when I would add more disks. would it still be enough if I would add 2 or more of the same disks?

I also checked the systems of users on this forum and it made me think i might be focusing too much on brands i know, which might make my configuration more expensive than needed. So even if my current list is ok, I think i would do right by browsing this forum bit more for comparison of systems (I hope you do not think im wasting your time now, i really appreciate the advice)

• About the question of transcoding or not
Since there might be more users trying to stream transcoding is preferable (i think).

Thanks again for reading,time and advice.

Inxsible

Guru
Board
Supermicro X11SSL-CF
You don't need to have a -CF board. You are going to have 2 disks in a mirror for which you will have enough SATA ports. Why do you want to put money in an on board SAS port when you are not going to use it?

Note -C indicates an onboard SAS. What you need to look at is either X11SSL-F or even better X11SSM-F.
Boot Disk (lower than 128GB isnt made any more i think)
Plextor S3C 128GB
True. Even if you find one it will be more expensive than the 120GB. 120GB should serve you well.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
  • About the question of transcoding or not
Since there might be more users trying to stream transcoding is preferable (i think).
No. The number of streams do not have anything to do with transcoding. if your clients can handle the same format then you don't need transcoding.

Redcoat

MVP
Stored files should be able to be encrypted if they wish. Im going full on own service where i can after all the privacy bs lately
Encryption in FreeNAS is at a drive level, not individual files - it doesn't sound like it will work for you. Further, there are enough horror stories here of inaccessible encrypted data due to lost keys and other mismanagement to support the generality that encryption should only be considered if legally required and/or enforced by an owner/company policy.

go-djuh

Cadet
Encryption in FreeNAS is at a drive level, not individual files - it doesn't sound like it will work for you. Further, there are enough horror stories here of inaccessible encrypted data due to lost keys and other mismanagement to support the generality that encryption should only be considered if legally required and/or enforced by an owner/company policy.

Thanks for the warning. I will rethink the encryption idea since it was not my plan to encrypt whole drives. I will have a look at other more suitable solution for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.