Looking for build recommendations

Hi guys!

I'm planning to build my own FreeNAS system on a tight budget.

The system will be used as a NAS/backup, plex media server (at most 3 at a time, streaming 1080p content), and printer server. I'm not looking for specific parts recommendation (ie. Intel Xeon E5-2620, etc.), but rather, what specs to look for (core/thread count, minimum freq, etc.), since it is slightly hard to look for specific second hand parts here in the UAE.

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
(at most 3 at a time, streaming 1080p content)
If by streaming you mean without transcoding, the CPU won't be very important, any Xeon with 4 or more cores will get the job done.

If you're thinking about transcoding 3 streams at the same time, look for clock frequencies over 2Ghz. 4 cores (8 threads) would be fine there.

Make sure you have plenty of RAM and an SSD to run the jail and tmp transcoding location if the second point was what you're doing.

If by streaming you mean without transcoding, the CPU won't be very important, any Xeon with 4 or more cores will get the job done.

If you're thinking about transcoding 3 streams at the same time, look for clock frequencies over 2Ghz. 4 cores (8 threads) would be fine there.

Make sure you have plenty of RAM and an SSD to run the jail and tmp transcoding location if the second point was what you're doing.

Is it possible to use the Core i3s with ECC support, if sourcing a Xeon is not possible?

sretalla