Finding Plugin UID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
I was wondering how one is supposed to know the UID that a plugin uses. I need this to give write permissions to users with that ID for the plugins. I know the transmission one because it was on a thread by Joshua, and others have mentioned media ones have 816. My question is how am I supposed to find the UID for a plugin other than searching through threads looking for a post where someone shares it. There has to be a way to tell just from the system right?

I'm using this for Owncloud and Nextcloud but this should apply to any plugin. Thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
'ps aux' in the would show what programs are running and by what user. I would then figure out how to find the UID from the username. probably a command you could find from googling.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
'ps aux' in the would show what programs are running and by what user. I would then figure out how to find the UID from the username. probably a command you could find from googling.
I typed it into shell and the only users I see are Transmission (for my transmission plug-in which I created), root, and www. I assume that owncloud and nextcloud are using www and not the root one but I could be wrong. Not sure where to go from there. I did find this thread where a user posted some potentially useful code.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/what-user-does-each-plugin-create.15420/

I'm very new to freenas so not really sure what's happening here.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yes owncloud & nextcloud use the 'www' user. its UID is 80, I think you could find that out from /etc/group

Status
Not open for further replies.