Filled up FreeNAS flash drive and can't boot now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
okay so i ran the correct command javavmwrapper and all is good. Then i went and started making this so it would boot up with serviio running. Well during that process i filled up my 2GB USB stick and now I cant boot off of it. Is there away I can access the USB drive and clear out some stuff in order to boot? Guess I would need to mount the USB on another UNIX system and clear some space that way.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply. Im out of time for tonight but will get back on this tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know how i fair then.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
@ protosd

below is whats listed on the USB stick freenas was loaded on. only two folders are ssh and zfs. this is on sdc4 there is an sdc3 but nothing on it. So if I copy the freenas-v1.db file and place it on a new usb stick with freenas 8.0.1 release i should be good to go? Im not sure what else i can do here.

ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4$ ls
factory-v1.db freenas-v1.db rrd_dir.tar.bz2 ssh zfs
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4$ cd zfs
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/zfs$ ls
zpool.cache
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/zfs$
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/ssh$ ls
replication replication.pub
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/ssh$

ProtoSD

MVP
@ protosd

below is whats listed on the USB stick freenas was loaded on. only two folders are ssh and zfs. this is on sdc4 there is an sdc3 but nothing on it. So if I copy the freenas-v1.db file and place it on a new usb stick with freenas 8.0.1 release i should be good to go? Im not sure what else i can do here.

ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4$ ls
factory-v1.db freenas-v1.db rrd_dir.tar.bz2 ssh zfs
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4$ cd zfs
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/zfs$ ls
zpool.cache
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/zfs$
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/ssh$ ls
replication replication.pub
ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/usb4/ssh$

It depends if the database is from your current install or from the previous install. You can do an 'ls -l' to check the date. You can try it and boot it up and see what happens. If its the older database, you might have to force a manual update on it. Check the date on it first and see how old it is, you might get lucky.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
@protosd

I only have the one freenas on this stick as it was a new install. the file is 163 kb does that sound right? I have a usb drive that i can load freenas back onto and go from there. If i wanted to try mounting the full usb stick onto another freenas system how would I mount the usb stick? is that possible?

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
i see that the mounted usb drive is only 20mb and 1.5mb. This is a 2gb stick. I must not be mounting it correctly. you mentioned this in a earlier post "You have to make sure you have the right partition/name to make it work, FreeBSD partitions are named/setup different than dos/Fat partitions. There are 2 partitions that are about 940MB" i must not be mounting this correctly. Im not sure how this got full in the first place. i pointed everything to be written to a place on the data drives.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
@protosd

Im tring to use ubuntu to copy my freenas-v1.db to the new freenas usb, however im unable to write to the usb stick. Its read-only at this time. I have been unable to make it writable any ideas?

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure if Ubuntu will let you write to UFS or not, but if it does you should only need to add a 'w' after the 'r' in these command

sudo mount -rw -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/sdf1 /media/usbDrive/

sudo mount -rw -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdf1 /media/usbDrive/

If that doesn't work, you might need to find a FreeBSD Live CD and use that.

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
USB stick full unable to boot

I have managed to fill my USB boot stick up running Freenas 8.0.1 Release. I have been unable to copy the freenas-v1.db file from it to another device. My question is can i install the same freenas version on anouther usb and then inport the volumes to it and access the data on the storage drives?

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
freebsd wont let me make directories while logged in as root, states its read only. Looking through the forum it seems if i place my freenas-v1.db file on a fat32 usb stick i could mount and copy the file over to the new freenas usb. What would be the correct command to mount a fat32 usb device?

mmx

Cadet
Yes. I've done this several times myself (with ZFS volumes). I don't know how other types might work.

If the import doesn't work automatically with the GUI, you can do it via the command line and add a -f (I think) to force the import.

MMX

pontiacgta2002

Dabbler
I ended up auto importing the volumes on the newly istalled freenas usb. Recreated the share's and i'm back in business.

ProtoSD

MVP
Please read the 'Unofficial FAQ' below in my signature. It had the information you were looking for to making the disk read-write, and mounting FAT32 disks/partitions.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.