Files in CIFS share considered outside of local network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjvanpat

Dabbler
I recently put together a FreeNAS box which is running v9.2.1.2. I created some CIFS shares and mapped them as network drives, and then tared/copied/untared files from my Win7 machine to the FreeNAS box. I'm able to read and write the files without any problems, but whenever I try to run an executable on my Win7 machine that lives within one of those mapped drives, it gives me a popup containing the following message:

We can't verify who created this file. Are you sure you want to run this file?​
[...File Name, Type, Location...]​
This file is in a location outside of your local network. Files from locations you don't recognize can harm your PC. Only run this file if you trust the location.​
This is a bit confusing (and irritating to click through each time), because the FreeNAS box is wired to the same LAN as the PC I'm trying to run the executable on; I access the FreeNAS box with a 192.168.x.x address. Once I click 'Run', they seem to run without any problems.

Is it possible to convince Win7 that the FreeNAS box actually is on the same local network, so that it stops asking me permission every time I want to execute something?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi tjvanpat,

That's not a FreeNAS error, that just Windows warning you that it doesn't know where the file came from (same Windows domain or workgroup).

Stuff the error text into Google and you should find a bunch of pages detailing how to suppress the error. I don't know any of the specifics about your setup, if i did I could maybe narrow down what you want to look for.

-Will

tjvanpat

Dabbler
Hi survive,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had been googling for a while with no luck, but it seems my google-fu was just a little off today. With your suggestion, I tried adding in 'suppress' to my searches, and came across this post. The important part is Blorgbeard's answer:

Ok, I found the solution.
  • Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security -> Local Intranet -> Sites -> Advanced
  • Add the mapped drive or UNC path (eg. Z:\ or \\machine)

This allows me to run executables without being prompted.

Interestingly, I have to add the FreeNAS box using its IP address, rather than it's hostname. I'm not sure if that implies anything, but since it works, I probably won't look into it too much.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Using IP address doesn't matter.

If your network services are setup and support it, you could have used hostname. I normally map by IP, and IP will work. It's nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.