Files causing Windows MCE to crash after migrating to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Max

Cadet
Hi Everybody,

My name is Max and although I'm not a complete Noob having built a FreeNAS box for my old boss, that was years ago and on an older version of FreeNAS.

I just built myself a FreeNAS box with an Athlon II 2500, 4Gb of Ram and 3.5 TB of HD's running FreeNAS 9.1.1 X64 off of a 2GB Usb drive for right now.
I use Windows 7 MCE on all my TV's in the house in dedicated machines with tuners. Each one of those machines was sharing folders with movies and DVD rips and I've never had a problem playing them on any of my machines.
I started migrating all the files to my new FreeNAS box and everything seems to be going fine except for this : whenever I try to play one of the files from the FreeNAS in Windows MCE, it crashes and gives me the "event name: CLR20r3" message. Those same files play fine from the same machine when opened with VLC or with WMP.

I've tried changing permissions on FreeNAS and have been banging my head against the wall all day !

Any of you guys have a way I could start watching my stuff through Windows MCE again ?

Thanks,

Mad Max

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Mad Max,

I use MCE with an HD Homerun Prime on my HTPC, but I run XBMC on the same box for playing files off my filer. I never actually tried using MCE to do it (the XBMC subtitle add-on & Flirc were just to darn good to pass up). I suppose what I'm suggesting is if you can't fix the problem you can just work around it.

-Will

Mad Max

Cadet
Hi Pirateghost,
Yes, just tried that fix and besides wiping out my recording schedule, it didn't fix my problem....
I'm seriously considering installing windows 7 on a drive and using that to share my drives....
Survive, thanks for the tip but I've been extremely happy with my setup so far. I used to work for a company making windows media centers so I have a nice remote with everything programmed, quad tuners, etc... Don't really want to change my whole ecosystem because I wanted to add a NAS.

Anybody else got some ideas ?

Mad Max

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
How are you connecting to your FreeNAS box over the media centers? Are you mapping a drive letter or just using UNC paths?

Mad Max

Cadet
Hi Pirateghost,
Just using UNC paths as I always did before. Should I try running an older version of FreeNAS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.