How to selectively copy files to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
I'm in the process of migrating some files from a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS to FreeNAS.

Can someone suggest the most efficient way of doing this?

At the moment I'm mounting CIFS shares on my Windows machine and copying files from one remote drive to another, which I assume is very inefficient... Maybe I should mount FreeNAS shares on the Seagate NAS and copy them that way using MC...

Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated....

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm in the process of migrating some files from a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS to FreeNAS.

Can someone suggest the most efficient way of doing this?

At the moment I'm mounting CIFS shares on my Windows machine and copying files from one remote drive to another, which I assume is very inefficient... Maybe I should mount FreeNAS shares on the Seagate NAS and copy them that way using MC...

Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated....

You can use robocopy on a Windows machine. It's fairly fast, painless, and supports logging.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Or, fire up FTP. That's what I do. You get pretty much max speed that way.

balanga

Patron
Where do I fire up FTP? Remember I want to copy files from my Seagate GoFlex Home NAS to my FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Where do I fire up FTP? Remember I want to copy files from my Seagate GoFlex Home NAS to my FreeNAS.
A quick Googling indicates that your "GoFlex" device supports FTP. As a server. Of course, the FreeNAS supports ftp...as a server. So if you want to transport files via FTP from the Seagate thing to the FreeNAS, you have the problem that you have two servers, instead of a server and a client. Now, this problem has a solution, namely, you will fire up an FTP client within FreeNAS. If you drop to the command line, and just type "ftp", you will be in the client. However, now you get to the point where you have to connect to the host, lcd to the right directories, mget the files you want, and all this other jazz....

If you were the type of person for whom this would be even remotely intuitive, you would have never asked the question in the first place, I don't think, so this is going to be a bit of a challenge in your case.

I wonder if we could brainstorm another idea that might not work as fast, but would be easier to implement.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Just use your client pc. Fire up robocopy and run it. Deal with the time it will take to transfer and don't make it more complicated than it truly is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just use your client pc. Fire up robocopy and run it. Deal with the time it will take to transfer and don't make it more complicated than it truly is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

You only have to do this once. Don't make this complicated!

balanga

Patron
You can use robocopy on a Windows machine. It's fairly fast, painless, and supports logging.

If I use a Windows machine - (say machine C) to copy files from GoFlex - (machine A) to FreeNAS - (machine B) do those files go via machine C or directly from A to B?And if so doesn't that mean creating more network traffic than a direct copy. I honestly don't know....

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If I use a Windows machine - (say machine C) to copy files from GoFlex - (machine A) to FreeNAS - (machine B) do those files go via machine C or directly from A to B?And if so doesn't that mean creating more network traffic than a direct copy. I honestly don't know....
yes it does mean it will traverse the machine you initiate the copy job....but you only need to do this one time and it wont take that long over a wired connection.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
yes it does mean it will traverse the machine you initiate the copy job....but you only need to do this one time and it wont take that long over a wired connection.
And it will take less time than debating the various pros and cons of methods of transferring files from one machine to another. :D

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
And it will take less time than debating the various pros and cons of methods of transferring files from one machine to another. :D
This.

In the amount of time this thread has been alive, the op could have transferred everything 10 fold

balanga

Patron
This.

In the amount of time this thread has been alive, the op could have transferred everything 10 fold

Maybe so, but some of us would like to get a deeper understanding of the way network traffic works without having to enroll on an expensive CSNE course...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Maybe so, but some of us would like to get a deeper understanding of the way network traffic works without having to enroll on an expensive CSNE course...
a class is not necessary. This is not a complicated thing. It is simple file transfer over a network.

If the 2 machines are not directly talking to each other over a protocol (rsync, nfs, cifs, ftp, sftp, etc), then they have to route through a third party (client) to transfer the data. To me this is a logical network understanding.

gpsguy

For a server to server file transfer, your Seagate GoFlex limits what can be done. As DrKK pointed out, you'd have to use a command line FTP client on the FreeNAS server to download the files. As others have said, for a one time job, just route the traffic through your client pc.

If you had another FreeNAS server instead of the GoFlex, you'd have more options for a server to server file transfer.

Sent from my phone

Does the GoFlex have SSH? "scp" would be another option, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.