SOLVED File Explorer refresh issue

Aero-Graphics

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am new to FreeNAS, but not to IT, and have a few weird behaviors I am hoping to get some expert advise on and hopefully refine (I'll post separate threads on the individual issues to keep things on topic). This is on a new install of CORE 13.0-U5.1. The TrueNAS box is joined to our Domain.

When using the storage through an SMB share from a Windows client (it happens with either 10 or 11), the contents of the folder do not always update. For instance, if you delete a file or folder, it is not removed from the view unless you refresh. It's a relatively minor problem, but it is a difference not seen on shares from other devices on our network (Microsoft/Linux-SMB), so it throws my users off.

The only threads I have been able to find that are similar to this are from approximately a decade ago, and document a now deprecated Samba configuration directive, "refresh = 1". I likewise have been unable to find any recent Samba postings with this issue.

Any ideas?

Rob

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Is this something that happens every time you delete a file, or does it occasionally "disappear immediately" without requiring a client-side refresh?

I have to assume there's some manner of client-side caching behavior occurring here. Certain logs may help but I'll tag the resident SMB guru @anodos for which will be most useful.

Aero-Graphics

Dabbler
Is this something that happens every time you delete a file, or does it occasionally "disappear immediately" without requiring a client-side refresh?

I have to assume there's some manner of client-side caching behavior occurring here. Certain logs may help but I'll tag the resident SMB guru @anodos for which will be most useful.

It seems to happen every time. Likewise if there is a file created (even on the same system) outside of File Explorer, you have to do a refresh to update the view.

Rob

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It seems to happen every time. Likewise if there is a file created (even on the same system) outside of File Explorer, you have to do a refresh to update the view.

Rob
File changes outside of the SMB protocol will require a refresh from the SMB client as we do not have support for kernel file change notifications in 13.

Aero-Graphics

Dabbler
File changes outside of the SMB protocol will require a refresh from the SMB client as we do not have support for kernel file change notifications in 13.

Thanks anodos. Is this also true for SCALE?

Rob

Aero-Graphics

Dabbler
As a follow-up to this I came across some additional information. Apparently TrueNAS by default sets the Samba parameter 'kernel change notify' to no because of historical problems encountered with Samba consuming all CPU resources. Changing this parameter back to yes does resolve this issue, but the risk is yours to take.

See here for more: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/kernel-change-notify-yes.45379/

Rob

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
As a follow-up to this I came across some additional information. Apparently TrueNAS by default sets the Samba parameter 'kernel change notify' to no because of historical problems encountered with Samba consuming all CPU resources. Changing this parameter back to yes does resolve this issue, but the risk is yours to take.

See here for more: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/kernel-change-notify-yes.45379/

Rob
The freebsd-based product disables inotify by default, but it is enabled in linux-based product (SCALE).