Motherboard BIOS version and Intel Haswell (Refresh?) CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobe

Cadet
Depending on your motherboard bios version and which Intel CPU you choose, your server might not post.
As far as i know :
- this problem only occurs with some socket 1150 motherboards and Intel haswell refresh CPUs,
- the only way to fix it is to have the motherboard bios updated.

How to choose a CPU ?
I can only give 2 advices for that :
- check the motherboard manufacturer website for a compatibility list (if there is one),
- check our forum hardware recommandation sticky.

How can you know if the CPU you choose is Haswell or Haswell Refresh ?
Here you have the list of all Intel Haswell CPUs, including Haswell Refresh ones.

I'm not sure my method will work with all CPUs, but here it is :
if the CPU was released in 2013 it's Haswell, if it was released in 2014 it's Haswell Refresh.

How to determine your motherboard bios version ?
This is, in my opinion, the most tricky part.

If you can, ask your reseller before buying the motherboard.
Once you have bought the motherboard, you can look for this information on the package or even on a sticker in the motherboard itself.
If you still don't find it, try asking the manufacturer using the motherboard serial number.

I already bought an Intel Haswell Refresh CPU and a motherboard which bios version is too old, what can i do ?
Obviously you have 2 choices : either you update your bios, or you replace your processor with an Intel Haswell one.

To update the bios, you'll have to use an Intel Haswell processor, one that you already own or that you'll have to buy.

With some (or all ?) Supermicro motherboards, you also have the possibility to update the bios without changing the processor through BMC/IPMI. You'll just need to buy a product key to enable the functionnality.

PS:
If you think this thread is useful and can be improved, don't hesitate to post a reply.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd add that Supermicro X10 motherboards need the 2.0 (or newer) BIOS to work with Haswell Refresh CPUs. Other motherboards should be similar, but the model number will obviously vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.