Feedback for FreeNAS documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nor_cal

Cadet
Hello everybody
I recently upgraded my FreeNAS7 to 8.3.0-p1 and had a hard time making user authenticated AFP access work. The documentation is correct, but does not say a few important facts that I'd like to add here so that its maintainer may add it if he agrees.

Authenticating for AFP access consists of two "layers" - the user authentication and the share password. Entering your FreeNAS AFP volume in OS X finder with Cmd+K triggers a dialog to enter your credentials. Those are the user credentials and NOT the AFP share password that you configure when defining your share. I did not find a way withing OS X to enter that share password. In fact once you enter it in FreeNAs share configuration there's no way to clear it, only to change it do a different one. To clear a share password you have to remove the share an recreate it and leaving the password fields empty.

Cheers,
Peter

I

ixdwhite

Hello Peter,

I can confirm that you can't remove the share password once set. Ticket #2084 has been opened to remedy this issue.

I can also confirm that MacOS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard machine does prompt for the share password if configured. The volume password prompt appears after the login credentials dialog if there is only one share configured and after the share selection if there are multiple shares. You need to cycle the AFP service after adding the password for the change to deploy.

My 10.8 Mountain Lion machine is unfortunately non-functional so I can't test it there at current.

D

dlavigne

As a further update, this option has been removed in 9.2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.