*Feature Request* Menubar Zpool status indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcolinp

Explorer
I really would like to have a menubar item that shows the status of my FreeNAS Zpool/RAID/etc. Could simply be the little blinking Icon, like in the upper right corner of the Web GUI; and it should be able to post alerts to my attention if there is a drive failure, etc.

Doesn't seem that this should be too difficult; and I think many people would benefit from peace of mind; without having to check the Web GUI constantly.

I suppose that his would have to be a separate plugin; as it needs to operate on specific systems such as Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, etc.

fracai

Guru
This would be interesting, and the new API would be very applicable here I'd think, but I can't help but think it's a bit too focused. How often are you in front of a machine on your local network? Would it be more advantageous to just receive an email or Growl alert for any errors?

That said, I'd probably install it if there were such a widget.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Would it be more advantageous to just receive an email or Growl alert for any errors?

This is already in FreeNAS. You just have to setup the email function per the manual and FreeNAS will email you when it has a problem. ;) Maybe the OP is unaware that this will happen automatically?

fracai

Guru
Right, that's what I was getting at. Though Growl support isn't there, email is.

It'd still be an interesting feature to have a status indicator on a remote system. Let's add Status Board support while we're at it. :smile:

mcolinp

Explorer
I am a small business owner; and I use freeNAS to serve up files to Mac and Windows and keep things synced. Though I do realize that I am not likely reflecting the huge demographic of FreeNAS user or rather the typical Systems Administrator; This seems like a reasonable feature to consider.

Email notifications are a decent system for alerts; but honestly, I get so into my work at times that I ignore emails for hours at a time. Maybe pushing off going through them until the following morning.

Another annoyance that could be solved with a menubar app; is to check to make sure you are actually connected and logged in to the FreeNAS Server. Infact it would be a great way to enable a client machine to logout and back in as a different user; perhaps when an administrator is doing maintenance or such to an employees machine, etc.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I hear you. You aren't going to get that feature added from a forum post though. If you want the feature added put in a feature request ticket at bugs.freenas.org

But, emails are the primary method of communication from your FreeNAS server to you. There is no good alternate to the emails. The stoplight that FreeNAS has isn't all encompassing. It only includes the worst of the worst problems. So I'd definitely rely on emails looong before a stoplight. Emails are sent from the UPS service, SMART monitoring, as well as all of the internally monitored processes. Many of which do not ever affect the stoplight.

So to be honest and blunt, I think you are giving way too much emphasis on the stoplight and need to give much more faith in the emails. Usually for a small business, even with just a few small servers or a few pieces of hardware, emails should be setup to be read and handled by someone in IT. Much of your hardware has support for emailing, growl, SMTP, etc. Those should be utilized as that's how your hardware warns you. I can't tell you how many people have not setup emails and lost data solely because of this oversight. Even if you aren't reading them the second the post, even reading them within 24 hours is far better than the stoplight will ever be.

Emails should be your primary concern, your primary communication from your server, and your primary responsibility to read before deleting(even if its a weekend and you are out of town.. Monday isn't too much to wait for a server that is well designed and administered).

If you've setup your server properly you should never have to log into it to check it as your server is fully capable of monitoring itself and informing you of any problem. I have friends that have servers that are setup to self-monitor. I don't ever log into them, some for more than a year(except to update the OS), but the emails validate that everything is just fine.

mcolinp

Explorer
I don't think you you understood my login reference. I am not referring to logging into the Web GUI; I am referring to logging into the share as a user to access files.

-EDIT- For instance one user has access to ALL the Datasets/Shares; while another is only given access to a select two or three. It becomes frustrating for different reasons; (depending on wether the user is on Windows or Mac) to be able to disconnect and login as another user. Both tend to make it not very easy to do so.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right.. you'd want to use an API like fracai mentioned with some application running on your desktop that provides the on-screen info.

As for accessing the status from a file share, that's literally impossible as the sharing protocols don't support such connections.

mcolinp

Explorer
Yes they are kind of two separate issues. I just look at some of the client apps for things like own cloud, or even dropbox; and my mind begins to wander . . . :D

-With That said; I do realize both of these are more of a user layer over the top of a server like FreeNAS; but I like to share my thoughts; please don't be too critical of my ideas. They are just really food for thought; and maybe they will help form some development at some point.

Best Regards,

mcolinp

Explorer
After this discussion; your comments made me look further into the email settings. I did go through it more carefully; and was able get a test email correctly. Seems I never did go through all the steps (previously) to get it to work as it is supposed to. Thanks for your feedback.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
After this discussion; your comments made me look further into the email settings. I did go through it more carefully; and was able get a test email correctly. Seems I never did go through all the steps (previously) to get it to work as it is supposed to. Thanks for your feedback.

You probably just saved your pool from destruction in the future by setting up the email settings. No doubt your future-self would thank you.

mcolinp

Explorer
I feel Like I should take this moment to thank Bill & Ted; for their "Excellent" Adventure . . . LOL. (This was the immediate thought to cross my mind after hearing the reference: "future self")

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hahaha! I thought the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.