Feature Request: Intel QSV Low power mode

Eddez

Cadet
I would like to request the feature to enable Intel low power mode encoding. Its an extra option that can be enabled for the Intel iGPU,s. This will help of load the GPU with the help of HuC and speed up the HDR/DV code mapping when transcoding. This feature can be found on all intel 9th gen and upp iGPU,s and can be used in the Jellyfin app. Its a shame it cannot be enabled by the user in TrueNAS Scale or is Enabled by default by the OS. Heres is a link to the Jellyfin website explaining it more in detail: Jellyfin Low Power Encoding

Gnome

Explorer
I would like to request the feature to enable Intel low power mode encoding. Its an extra option that can be enabled for the Intel iGPU,s. This will help of load the GPU with the help of HuC and speed up the HDR/DV code mapping when transcoding. This feature can be found on all intel 9th gen and upp iGPU,s and can be used in the Jellyfin app. Its a shame it cannot be enabled by the user in TrueNAS Scale or is Enabled by default by the OS. Heres is a link to the Jellyfin website explaining it more in detail: Jellyfin Low Power Encoding
I don't want to be one of those guys just sh#tting over other people on the forum but I don't believe this has anything to do with Truenas.
They don't control the Debian kernel and they also do not control Jellyfin.

You should create a feature request in Jellyfin. If they have it enabled there, the next step is having it supported by the kernel.

Eddez

Cadet
The feature is already in jellyfin as an option to be enabled. And it's also supported by Debain Kernel. But to be able to install it you need to be able to run a sudo apt update and sudo apt install command. And we are not allowed to run the apt commands in the TrueNAS terminal making us unable to install the required software. When enabling it in the Jellyfin app without the required package installed it will result in an error saying that it is not able to transcode the video file. This could be fix by adding the package to TrueNAS as default.

Attachments

• Skärmbild 2023-10-15 140241.png
    Skärmbild 2023-10-15 140241.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Skärmbild 2023-10-15 140812.png
    Skärmbild 2023-10-15 140812.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 96

Lipsum Ipsum

Dabbler
But to be able to install it you need to be able to run a sudo apt update and sudo apt install command.
The intel-gpu-tools package isn't required. Just set the GuC boot parameter with the below and you're all set, presuming you're using the jellyfin app from either TrueNAS or TrueChart's catalog.

Code:
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.enable_guc=3"}'

Eddez

Cadet
The intel-gpu-tools package isn't required. Just set the GuC boot parameter with the below and you're all set, presuming you're using the jellyfin app from either TrueNAS or TrueChart's catalog.

Code:
sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "i915.enable_guc=3"}'
Couldent get it to work on Bluefin or the beta of Cobia but on the release build it just worked after i gave it a shoot and enabled it in Jellyfin.