Feature Request: Add a tab to the main TrueNAS navigation that has fsearch/everything app type instant search functionality

WantsTheZFS

Cadet
Having an instant search index available would be really nifty to have directly build into TrueNAS. Is this something that has or does exist?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I understand that the version of SAMBA used has been compiled with the elasticsearch functionality... maybe that's the closest there is for now.

It takes some configuring as far as I understand and I haven't personally done it.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Just to be clear, are you talking about search / index of all the files on the storage pool, or search in the UI of all the TrueNAS features / pages? Or both? :)

WantsTheZFS

Cadet
More the former, but the latter could be super useful as well.

Since a fairly large number of users are single, user archivist, I think an instant search feature would be well appreciated, especially if you could configure which datasets are searched, update interval, and had an API so simple, light weight search clients could be made for every OS (Win/Mac/BSD/DEB). I actually think it should be incorporated as a ZFS tool, but baby steps. If IXsystems can show how much people love it, a ZFS upstream isn't out of the question :).

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, that helps clarify. This seems like a good candidate for a suggestion ticket on jira.ixsystems.com to let us gage interest in such a feature. We've talked about adding support to SMB so that built-in search on Windows/Mac works, but doing at a ZFS pool level is something we've not considered yet.